1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash: Metz mecablitz 36 for ANY m/43 camera!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phdezra, Jun 17, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    For $120, I can't help but recommend the Metz mecablitz 36AF-5 Digital Flash for Olympus / MZ 36352OPL . GN 36 and quite powerful. it is essentially a full-sized flash for many indoor situations. It comes with a small stofen-like diffuser that fits right over the flash. Additionally though, I use a stofen on it and bounce it off ceiling..

Recycle times are *extremely* fast (using Lithium AA batteries, never miss a shot as they recycle within nanoseconds it seems). Provides even fill-flash and lovely effects for the non-pro (or perhaps pro).

Here are two images with E-P3 and PL 25/1.4.

First, I had wacky lighting going on... indoor photo, harsh sunlight from large bay window to right of photo, plus overhead tungsten lights.. and the flash helped make 90% of those lighting issues go away.

7390671506_fbdfdaa4a3_h.

And here is another taken in a VERY dark room at night (same birthday girl, a few days earlier).

7184994383_870f701e93_h.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Lighting looks great, thanks for sharing.

3. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Here's a photo of it on the E-P3.

To the right is a Sto-fen omnibounce, bought separately from B&H. The smaller piece of thin plastic is a diffuser that comes WITH the flash - a great flash from Metz for a mere $120.

photo_23_.JPG

4. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Thank you phdezra -- I have this flash but I haven't put it through its paces yet. Now your results make me think I should get on & try it out

BTW does anyone know of a remote TTL cord for this to go with a Panny G3?

Thanks
    Paul

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I use the 44 AF-1, and when a FL-36R arrived, there was just no comparison between the two. The FL36R feels like a toy, and for small product photos in my office it is functionally about 2 stops dimmer when used in manual. Love my Metz!

I have the Oly off-camera cord, I'll give it a try tonight on an Oly body, does that help?

6. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Thanks SRHEdD that would be most helpful.

STOP PRESS -- I tried a Canon off-camera cord 2, which was lying around, and the flash fired:thumbup: seeming to produce reasonable illumination. So now I will do some shots to see how it works