1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flash: Metz mecablitz 36 for ANY m/43 camera!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by phdezra, Jun 17, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    For $120, I can't help but recommend the Metz mecablitz 36AF-5 Digital Flash for Olympus / MZ 36352OPL . GN 36 and quite powerful. it is essentially a full-sized flash for many indoor situations. It comes with a small stofen-like diffuser that fits right over the flash. Additionally though, I use a stofen on it and bounce it off ceiling..

Recycle times are *extremely* fast (using Lithium AA batteries, never miss a shot as they recycle within nanoseconds it seems). Provides even fill-flash and lovely effects for the non-pro (or perhaps pro).

Here are two images with E-P3 and PL 25/1.4.

First, I had wacky lighting going on... indoor photo, harsh sunlight from large bay window to right of photo, plus overhead tungsten lights.. and the flash helped make 90% of those lighting issues go away.

7390671506_fbdfdaa4a3_h.

And here is another taken in a VERY dark room at night (same birthday girl, a few days earlier).

7184994383_870f701e93_h.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Lighting looks great, thanks for sharing.

3. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Here's a photo of it on the E-P3.

To the right is a Sto-fen omnibounce, bought separately from B&H. The smaller piece of thin plastic is a diffuser that comes WITH the flash - a great flash from Metz for a mere $120.

photo_23_.JPG
    iPhone 4S    ---    4mm    f/2.4    1/15s    ISO 400

4. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Thank you phdezra -- I have this flash but I haven't put it through its paces yet. Now your results make me think I should get on & try it out

BTW does anyone know of a remote TTL cord for this to go with a Panny G3?

Thanks
    Paul

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I use the 44 AF-1, and when a FL-36R arrived, there was just no comparison between the two. The FL36R feels like a toy, and for small product photos in my office it is functionally about 2 stops dimmer when used in manual. Love my Metz!

I have the Oly off-camera cord, I'll give it a try tonight on an Oly body, does that help?

6. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    Thanks SRHEdD that would be most helpful.

STOP PRESS -- I tried a Canon off-camera cord 2, which was lying around, and the flash fired:thumbup: seeming to produce reasonable illumination. So now I will do some shots to see how it works

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.