Flash Gun with HSS/Fp capability.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GShooter, Oct 25, 2011.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Hello, my first post. I have asked this question on other forums but have not had an answer so far.
    I have just bought a GF-1 and need a flash for macro photography of insects. The flash must be capable of High Speed Synch or FP. I am not worried about oodles of power, wireless capability, bounce or swivel etc. Just the ability to synch at higher shutter speed than1/160. I was using a Canon G12 with the most basic flash, the 220Ex which had HSS capability, and that was fine for what I wanted to achieve.
    I guess what I am really asking is which is the smallest and cheapest flash with HSS capability that I can use with the GF-1.
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
  4. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Thank you Rob and ronbot. It looks as if it will be the Metz 50. Could you also advise whether I will be able to trigger this flash gun using the GF-1 built in flash?
  5. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    In short yes.

Most flash units have a manual slave mode, in which the flash will fire when detecting another flash firing. But, since it is manual, you'll have to set the flash strength, etc. I've even used my Metz 50 AF-1 with a P&S camera this way.

In addition to this, the Metz (or Oly) unit have a wireless/RC TTL mode. I use this mode a lot with my E-PL2 because I can still have my EVF attached on the hotshoe while using the Metz in TTL.

See Metz 50 AF-1's manual here - English portion starting at p.80
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, with an IMPORTANT caveat, as I learned myself the hard way. All of the Pany bodies utilize a preflash on the built-in flash. You cannot turn the preflash off (I understand you can do this on the Oly bodies). What this means is that the preflash will trigger the slave flash. On my Metz 50, I had to dial down the power to 1/4. At that power, the Metz could recycle fast enough that it popped twice: first with the preflash and again with the main flash.

As I learned on this forum, the way around this is to get any old cheap manual flash and put it on the body, then mount the Metz off-camera. The cheap flash will serve as the trigger. I got one that works for like 11 bucks on ebay, shipped.
  7. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

Thank you ronbot and sprinkle, food for thought there. If I understand correctly, in order to use HSS the flash must either be mounted on the camera or off the camera using a hot shoe cord, either way I will not be able to use the EVF which I definitly want to do for macro work. If I move the flash away from the camera and use the camera flash to trigger the main flash, I loose Hss capability because the camera defaults to 1/160 sec, but I will be able to use the EVF. sprinkle has also mentioned that I need yet another flash to trigger the main flash because of not being able to turn off the preflash.
    My main priorities are the ability to use the EVF and HSS capability. If this is not possible because of hot shoe usage I will have to go with using the EVF and hope I can get around the preflash problem. I will also not need such a sophisticated flash gun and am looking at the Nissin Di466.
  8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Nissin Di466 is a nice flash. It recycles really fast compared to the Oly FL-36R. It has 2 'dumb' slave modes, and one of them ignores the pre-flash. But my sample has a problem: its output power in manual mode is somewhat unstable (i. e. the brightness of the flash differs from time to time). Probably just a sample variation, but you may want to check for this problem when buying yours.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I'm about to pickup a Metz 58 AF-1C ("C" for Canon). Will this work wirelessly if I mount my Oly FL-14 on the hotshoe of either the GF1 or GH2?

Can anyone confirm this?
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Not in TTL mode. Manual slave, yes but the Panasonic bodies do not support wireless TTL.