Flash for Panasonic GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by joms, Jan 20, 2016.

1. joms

joms New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2015
    What flash do you use or would you use for a GX8?

(for portrait)

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Two manually controlled with soft boxes plus, sometimes, one or two behind the subject for hair light or lighting the background. The camera make and model doesn't matter.

Strobist: Lighting 101

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    What soft boxes do you prefer? Currently I'm using shoot through umbrellas and looking to diversify a bit.

Joms, if you want TTL capability, consider the Pany FL-360L or Oly FL-600R (basically the same thing) Or any one of the compatible flashes. If you want manual/off-camera, the world is your playground. I like LumoPro.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    As an amateur without a lot of space, I like the umbrella-frame style that easily collapses for storage. Some soft boxes need to get set up and torn down with rods and fabric like a camping tent, with all the pleasure that entails. Be sure to get a grid for your softbox. They make the box wonderfully directional for just a few bucks.

Re shoot through umbrellas they are nice and soft but the light goes friggin' everywhere. Front, back, sideways, ... You might find that umbrellas with (removable) black covers give you more control for not much money.

Just MHO.

5. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    For casual 'portrait' shots of friends and family at home, I use a Cactus V6 to trigger a single off camera Cactus RF60 flashgun that I simply bounce off the ceiling. It works very well, allows me to light the whole room effectively (albeit it crudely) and means that I can be mobile which is always a big benefit when trying to keep up with my very active 4 year old son. At some point, I may add a second RF60 for better light control but what I have has served me well.

Cheers,

Simon.

6. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    What flash to just stick in your bag but full TTL ?

I don't normally like flash, but always counted on the one built into the camera, the GX8 being my first camera with no built in flash or even one bundled with it.