Flash for Panasonic GX1

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi guys just a quick question. does an Olympus e system flash work with the GX1? Thanks

Yes, but not wirelessly. I use an FL-36r, but will probably move to the oly FL-600 or newly announced pany DMW-FL360L (which will work wirelessly on the GH3) for a faster flash recharge time between shots.

josh

Mu-43 Regular
i just got into flash this summer with my gx1.

The olympus flash is way too overpriced. There are other m4/3 dedicated flashes out there. I first got this Metz one ( 36 AF-5 Digital Olympus/Pana/Leica. 4/3rds TTL Flash Mode. MZ 36352OPL - System Flash Units - 36af-5 Digital | Metz ). It works fine as an on-camera flash, but there is no power adjustment or swivel and no off-camera flash capabilities. Also, the battery door pops open here and there. THe Nissin alternative ( Nissin Digital Flash: Di466 for Four Thirds Introduction ) looks really nice, has adjustable power and a swivel, but I have not tried it.

For about the same price as the other two, I got the LumoPro LP160 ( Midwest Photo Exchange LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash ). It's an amazing flash. Works on and off camera and works as a slave, goes down to 1/64th power. It was designed in cahoots with the Strobist online community ( Strobist: Lighting 101 ), in an attempt to make the perfect and most affordable flash for flash enthusiasts.

josh

Mu-43 Regular
These are shot with the LumoPro off-camera.

libbystudyingthingsshel.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"/><br/>

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
For about the same price as the other two, I got the LumoPro LP160 ( Midwest Photo Exchange LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash ). It's an amazing flash. Works on and off camera and works as a slave, goes down to 1/64th power. It was designed in cahoots with the Strobist online community ( Strobist: Lighting 101 ), in an attempt to make the perfect and most affordable flash for flash enthusiasts.

I use 2x of these w/ stands, umbrellas, and catus triggers for off camera (something I recently got into, thanks to the strobist blogs) They are great, but a bit big for a general use on-camera for a GX1. I'll also admit, for event or fast paced shooting, having TTL for bounce w/ a flash card can be really nice. When I have time to set up and experiment, I prefer the manual LP160s by far.

Lite sleepeR

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the speedy answers. The lumopro and missin look good now it's just a matter of choosing.

josh

Mu-43 Regular
I use the Cactus V5 triggers too! Super affordable and work great. My only beef with them is the slightly inconvenient locking screw for the hot shoe - but that gets cancelled out by the great price. it's a lot smaller and lighter to have that on top of my GX1 than a flash, but I do mostly handheld flash anyways.

Latest threads

Top Bottom