Flash for Panasonic GX1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Lite sleepeR, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Lite sleepeR

Lite sleepeR Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Hi guys just a quick question. does an Olympus e system flash work with the GX1? Thanks

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    Yes, but not wirelessly. I use an FL-36r, but will probably move to the oly FL-600 or newly announced pany DMW-FL360L (which will work wirelessly on the GH3) for a faster flash recharge time between shots.

3. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    i just got into flash this summer with my gx1.

The olympus flash is way too overpriced. There are other m4/3 dedicated flashes out there. I first got this Metz one ( 36 AF-5 Digital Olympus/Pana/Leica. 4/3rds TTL Flash Mode. MZ 36352OPL - System Flash Units - 36af-5 Digital | Metz ). It works fine as an on-camera flash, but there is no power adjustment or swivel and no off-camera flash capabilities. Also, the battery door pops open here and there. THe Nissin alternative ( Nissin Digital Flash: Di466 for Four Thirds Introduction ) looks really nice, has adjustable power and a swivel, but I have not tried it.

For about the same price as the other two, I got the LumoPro LP160 ( Midwest Photo Exchange LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash ). It's an amazing flash. Works on and off camera and works as a slave, goes down to 1/64th power. It was designed in cahoots with the Strobist online community ( Strobist: Lighting 101 ), in an attempt to make the perfect and most affordable flash for flash enthusiasts.

4. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    These are shot with the LumoPro off-camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]"Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"/><br/>

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    I use 2x of these w/ stands, umbrellas, and catus triggers for off camera (something I recently got into, thanks to the strobist blogs) They are great, but a bit big for a general use on-camera for a GX1. I'll also admit, for event or fast paced shooting, having TTL for bounce w/ a flash card can be really nice. When I have time to set up and experiment, I prefer the manual LP160s by far.

6. Lite sleepeR

Lite sleepeR Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Thanks for the speedy answers. The lumopro and missin look good now it's just a matter of choosing.

7. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    I use the Cactus V5 triggers too! Super affordable and work great. My only beef with them is the slightly inconvenient locking screw for the hot shoe - but that gets cancelled out by the great price. it's a lot smaller and lighter to have that on top of my GX1 than a flash, but I do mostly handheld flash anyways.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.