Flash for Panasonic G6

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kerrb, Jan 4, 2014.

1. kerrb

kerrb New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2014
    I have recently bought a G6 but I was looking for a flash unit that would work with it. Would any of the Yongnuo flashes work?

Thanks

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Yes the Yongnuo 560 and likes will work except for TTL. If you require TTL then there are other options.

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    What's your definition of "work"? :)

To expand on the answer above, if your definition of "work" is being able to put it on the hotshoe and have it fire at the right time so that when the shutter opens, the flash burst is in the image, then the answer is yes.

If your definition of "work" is "work just like an FL-600R/FL360L only cheaper", then the answer is no. Yongnou only makes flashes for Nikon and Canon and all-manual brand-agnostic flashes.

The main features you're giving up are:

1. TTL (i.e., an automode where the camera can set the flash power based upon metering. The camera tells the flash to send out a "preflash" burst of a known brightness, meters it, then sets the power level on the flash, and then makes the exposure). This is very useful for run'n'gun event shooting and on-camera bouncing when speed is going to matter more than precision.

2. FP flash aka "high-speed sync". This is the ability to use flash with a shutter speed over your camera's maximum sync speed. Shutter speed is actually determined by the gap between your shutter curtains. At your maximum sync speed, that gap gets to be smaller than your sensor. Because a flash burst will typically be a lot faster than your shutter speed, that means the curtains will be cover the top and/or bottom of the sensor when the flash burst goes off, and you'll see black bands in the image. FP flash is where the camera tells the flash to pulse its light in sync with the gap sweeping across the sensor, so the entire sensor gets illuminated. It's going to lower the power of the flash's output by about two stops, but does let you access much higher shutter speeds. mft cameras have a max. sync speed in the 1/160-1/250s range.

3. Menu control. Newer camera bodies, like the G6 have flash control menus in them so you don't have to switch between the camera's back LCD and the flash's back LCD to adjust settings.

4. 2nd curtain sync. With a longer shutter speed, the camera can tell the flash to either pop at the beginning or the end of the long exposure. If you're using flash and a long shutter speed on a moving subject, this can be the difference between light trails in front of or behind your subject. 2nd curtain makes the light trails appear to be in the wake of the subject, which more naturally conveys movement.

5. Remote triggering (aka RC mode). The current mft flashes can be triggered wireless with a light-based signaling system that's in some of the current Panasonic bodies--including the G6 (I think). The pop-up flash of the G6 can be used as the master unit to tell the remote flash what to do. If you shoot Strobist-style off-camera, this is very very convenient.

Now, whether you need any of these features is a different matter. And a FL360L costs about $250 and a YN-560III costs about $75. But understand that you get what you pay for. If you think of a flash as being like a lens, the cost may seem more reasonable. To me, an all-manual cheap YN flash makes more sense as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th flash, or off-camera-only option. If you want to get a first/only flash that you can use on-camera for bouncing as well as off-camera for studio setups, then an OEM TTL-capable flash is worth considering.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Would something like a Metz 44 flash allow TTL, FP and other features to work?

5. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I just got a Metz 44 for Christmas for my G3, on the basis that it should support all the features that the camera body supports. However I've only had it just over a week, not much chance to play so I can't really vouch for it yet in terms of answering your specific question. I've been very happy with the results so far, anyway. NB: It is pretty much bigger/heavier than the camera, however...

Rob

6. kerrb

kerrb New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2014
    Metz44

It appears to get good reviews so it may be worth it considering. The best price is £127 so not too bad.
    Thanks

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I have the Metz 50 and it works perfectly with the G6. More features than I use really (optical slave with power control from the camera).

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    From the specs, TTL, yes, RC slave, yes. 2nd curtain, yes. FP/HSS, no; no idea on the camera menu communication (flash specs are often less complete than you'd like, and you have to dig information out by googling a lot of different sources). The swivel of the head, btw, is 270-degrees. This can be annoying as it reduces your bounce direction possibilities vs. a 360-swivel head, but it's not a showstopper.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    2nd curtain sync works fine with any manual flash.

Fred

10. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    How good of a size fit is the Metz 44 for the G3... I mean not too large?

11. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    It is a bit big - here is a quick pic of the combo I just grabbed for you with my daughter's P&S. My G3 has P20mm on it (like 95% of the time...!)
    Flash is bigger than the G3+P20, and nearly as heavy. It is somewhat unbalanced as is probably evident from the pic.

11787313284_2331c82f83_b.
    DSCN0591 by wi-fli, on Flickr

OTOH, I am happy with it and glad I got it, and would recommend it (so far, after a week, anyway).

Hope this is useful.

:smile:

Rob

• Like Like x 2
  12. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I have the FL50R. You can get them used about $250 or so. It's a smidge large for the smaller Micro 4/3 bodies, but has a lot of power so you can use accessories like the Rogue Flashbender, etc without raising ISO.

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, helpful thanks. A couple months ago bought a touch screen TTL flash for my system, I don't remember the model at the moment, think it is a Metz 58? It's a monster next to my G3 or GX1, both small cameras.

I'd like something physically smaller, but still want a tilting & rotating head, diffuser, etc.
    But I use a flash infrequently and I already have this one, I just went too big. I was thinking of a GH3 in the future, but I'm not so sure, and in the present my flash is almost twice as big as my bodies. :thumbup:

14. Bborzell

Bborzell New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2013
    I bought a Nissin Di466 to use with my Lumix G5. It is sized fo the camera. Only thing that is lacking so far is that it does not swivel. Otherwise, it has served me well.

15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Does Nissin have a similarly sized version that does swivel? Or anyone else?

16. Bborzell

Bborzell New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2013
    Not from Nissan. Not aware of others that are sized for mft that also swivel.

17. drone

drone Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    I bought a Nissin for my G3.
    I was a bit worried about the lack of a swivel head, but I found that the built-in diffuser and reflector are both very good for indoor shots

18. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Regarding the lack of swivel on the Nissin 466 - on my Olympus it works fine with a (Canon!) TTL cable. It'll then point in any direction I like!

19. gohunter

gohunter New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2014
    Wirral, UK
    Gordon
    I have the Metz 44 AF-1 and it works perfectly on TTL with my G5 and Oly E-P2, so it should also work fine with the G6. TTL plus the auto zoom works fine, but the camera will automatically limit you to 1/160 shutter speed when the flash is attached and powered on, so no high speed sync. I find the size is fine and not too big for the G5. As previously stated the head tilts and swivels, but only to 270 degrees, not the full 360. There is a built in bounce card too and 12mm diffuser.

The other advantage of the Metz flash is that it has a USB socket for upgrading the firmware, so if another camera comes out with different flash facilities and you upgrade, hopefully you wont need to buy a new flashgun.

Gordon