1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash for OMD?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by IamPain13, Oct 30, 2012.

1. IamPain13

IamPain13 New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi,

I was wondering if there's any good Flash for my Olympus OMD ME5. The compact one that comes with the camera just doesn't cut it when i take pictures at night. Since it has a universal hotshoe on top I guess I can just buy any Flash. I need a good one that is affordable. I have an old one but it takes about a min before I can take a new picture or flash wont go off.

Help please.

Thanks

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    FL-36R is a nice, versatile flash for the E-M5 and can be used via hotshoe or wirelessly with the accompanying accessory flash. Current price seems to be about $169.

There are less expensive lower end flashes such as the FL-14 (lists at $199 but many were sold with the E-P2 for $99 so you can probably find used ones cheap).

FL-300R is also a fairly versatile flash unit.

Personally I'd go with the Fl-36R. I can't comment on third party flash units since I work mainly with the Olympus strobes. You can probably find cheaper alternatives from third party makers but quality will vary from companies such as Metz and Sigma down to ebay options.

3. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm using a Metz 52, and I'm very happy with it.
    Works better on the E-P1 and OM-D than on the GH-1 for some reason, not sure why.

4. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

I agree that the compact flash doesn't have alot of reach, but its a handy little flash for daytime fill in, etc. Very nice for my travel kit. I bought the 300R as part of the rebate program when I got the E-M5. It seems to be a much better flash for using indoors and limited distance outside. Be interested in other options as well for night time work - may make the 300R redundant in my kit.

5. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I bought the FL600-R. Has FP mode for faster shutter sync, which is invaluable for fill-flash on summer days.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, get the FL-600R, not the FL-36R. They are both the same flash in terms of flash output, compact size, and features (including a built-in slave unit), but the FL-600R is much faster to recycle because it uses 4 batteries instead of 2. It also has a continuous video light you could use for video or for low-light focus. They both retail at about the same price, as the FL-600R is the replacement for the FL-36R.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use my FL50(R) flashes for the extra power when I need it (nighttime wildlife shots with the ZD70-300), but it does dwarf the camera a little. I believe the Metz 58 is similar in power with compatible TTL.

8. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    I shot these roller derby images with the OMD/FL-50R in a medium size, toughly lit arena. The FL-50R is a very reliable flash. I shot this whole series, about 300+ photos total, with a single set of freshly charged batteries. The flash was TTL about 2-3 stops under to softly fill the arena's sodium and tungsten lights, camera was set at high ISO so I'm speculating that's why the batteries lasted so long.

The fill was subtle enough for me to doubt it was there until I stumbled across a few shots like this one - red-eye @ 75mm

8133982441_8f73bd3fdc_b.

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    If you are looking at the cheap end (no TTL) you could go on eBay and look for some old Nikon Speedlights (SBxxx) or a new Youngnuo YN460-II. The Youngnuos go for around 40€/$.

10. IamPain13

IamPain13 New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2012
    what is TTL? sorry i'm still new lol

11. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    In short: The camera tells the flash with which intensity to fire in order to meet the required exposure.

The longer version: Through-the-lens metering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TTL capable flashes usually only work for a specific brand as the TTL protocol is not standardized among camera manufacturers. A non-TTL flash (or a TTL flash from a different vendor) will fire on any camera*, but the flash/intensity setting needs to be set manually on the flash.

---
    * There are two exceptions: Sony/Minolta uses a different kind of hotshoe and old (from the analog days) flashes use a higher flash sync/trigger voltage, which will fry your digital cameras hotshoe. In order to be save, choose a flash which was designed for the digital area and/or states that the trigger voltage is <10V.

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes I had the first ever TTL flash metering on my Olympus OM-2. It's not essential, but in some situations like close-ups, long exposures with multi flashes, or complex lighting rigs you can rely on it rather than a guesswork approach.

Does anyone know if Yongnuo do a TTL flash for Olympus? I'm looking for a sub 100€ flash with TTL plus tilt and swivel. Most cost more:
    • Metz 44 AF-1 (g/n 44) =€133
    • Cullmann D4500 (g/n 36) =€126
    • Nissin Di466 Four Thirds (g/n 33) =€77 (no swivel)

13. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Vivitar DF-383-OP costs about $120 (€93) in the US. I have no idea what the price will be over where you are, but it's $15 less than the Nissin Di466 here. It has full TTL capability on both Olympus and Panasonic (in case that wasn't obvious) and has a nice distance calculator on the back LCD which takes into account lens zoom, ISO and f-stop.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks. The Olympus version does not appear to be available in Germany or the UK. :-(

15. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Well...there's a slightly older model, the DF-383-OLY which is almost identical. It uses a locking button instead of a wheel on the hotshoe, but functionally they're the same.

eBay.de Link

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Excellent! Thanks. Ebay search is useless if you put OP on the end.
    Do third party flashes do off-camera slave TTL function too? Where the mini flash controls the slave like the Olympus flash does? I had presumed the Metz, Nissin and Cullman worked like that.

Vivitar.com

17. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Both the Nissin and the DF-383 have optical sensors and can be triggered by the on-camera mini-flash in slave mode. You have to set the flash power and zoom manually though, but that's pretty easy with the DF-383's distance calculator.

The Cullmann D 4500-O/P (eBay.de Link) appears to be the exact same flash as the Vivitar DF-383-OP, but with a slightly different front plate on the base. It has the metal locking ring, so I'd go with the Cullmann over the older 383-OLY, but that's personal preference.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Thanks again. The Cullmann is also locally available. However nearly the same price as the Metz 44 AF-1 which does have wireless TTL.