Flash for OMD for event.

hsw21

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Guys
Im new in Olympus world.
Im thinking to use OMD camera in event, but not sure about the flash.
I think the top of the line flash for OMD is the FL600R ? If yes, even this, I think still too small and doesnt have external power pack connection, right ?
Is there an Olympus flash that equivalent of Canon 580ex or Nikon SB 800/900/910 (well those mostly use flash in events).
i appreciate if anyone can point me the right info for this.
Thanks.

christofp

Mu-43 Veteran
There are also some very fine Metz flashes for m43.

From a small GN 24 flash, an easy to use 44 flash to GN52 or (very new and powerful) a GN 64 flash.

The Metz 52 and 64 are fully functional and offer high speed flash.

https://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/product-ranges/system-flash-units.html

Unfortunately the company has severe financial problems (they also produced TVs which did not work well ) and I hope their flash department will survive the current problems ...

Note: Olympus flashes tweak the guide numbers because they assume ISO200 instead of ISO100 which "doubles" the power in the Olympus brochures. If I calculate correct, FL600r actually has a GN of 36.

I have a FL600r as a convenient and compact master-flash and a Metz 52 as a very reliable TTL-Slave doing the "hard work". Side note: As the Metz has standard DSLR flash size, it is a little bit unbalanced on my EM1 without the HLD7 grip, on a PEN it would be even worse. That's why I prefer to use it as a slave.

Christof

D

Deleted member 20897

Do you require that the flash be on camera or have TTL capability?

If not, really, the world is your burrito! Find a suitable wireless trigger system that you can afford/like and use any flash you want.

I've been using my Nikon SB22/26/28/600 on just about every camera that I've ever used including Nikon/Olympus/Fuji. I prefer the Radio Popper branded triggers, but I'm sure there are some cheaper options.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
For TTL,HSS, and with external power packs all of which will meet or exceed the capabilities of the Nikon/Canon top of the line flashes-

The Olympus FL-50R is the only Olympus flash that will take an external power pack. I believe Olympus quit making the FS-SHV1 power pack and one will be hard to find. Amazon UK has three left in stock.

An alternative power pack is a Quantum Turbo SC or Turbo3, but Quantum no longer sells the cable for the FL-50R (part# CO5). I did find a FS-SHV-1 cable and had two cables made from it for the FL-50R with Turbo batteries.

Other than the FL-50R the others include Metz's 58 AF (this has been replaced with newer models), 64 AF-1, and 76 MZ-5 that are compatible with Metz's P76 power pack. Quantum makes compatible cables for use with their Turbo batteries.

One other option but requires a flash bracket is to use a Quantum T5d-R with a Quantum D10W QTTL adapter and Turbo SC or Turb3 battery. This is without a doubt the most powerful, longest lasting, best quality of light, and most expensive of the items I mentioned.

If you do not desire TTL and HSS there are several other options that also use external battery packs.

hsw21

Mu-43 Rookie
Thank you all for replying.

The way I wanna use it is mostly manual but with some TTL capability for a quick grab shot where I dont have time to set flash power.

Currently Im using Canon camera with Canon 580ex flash for weddings, so for example, mostly I can use it in manual for general situation for the day, but need some TTL feature in some part of the day, like in processional/recessional in the church, grand entrance, and some situation when Im in manual mode shooting something else and suddenly some guests just asking for a quick grab shot. Yes, you can adjust it manually quickly (like how my friend/ shooting partner do it), but I just dont have that skill yet. :(

I think Im gonna check out the FL50R with the external power pack for now. Unless someone has better idea.
For manual only flash Im already set with NEEWER TT850.

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Do you have the 580EX or the 580EXII?

Because if you have the MkII, then you can do something very similar to what growltiger suggested: use the E (external sensor) mode and get automated power-setting of the flash, without TTL. This is the 580EXII's autothyristor mode, which uses an external sensor on the flash, rather than a pre-flash and TTL metering to set the power on the flash. This autothyristor mode doesn't need a camera and flash to communicate with each other, while TTL does. It works pretty well, and I've done it from my GX-7 with my 580EXII.

hsw21

Mu-43 Rookie
I only have the 580ex, not the version II.

BTW Guys, this FL50R is from what era ? From Olympus film, FT, MFT ?

Thanks.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The FL-50 and FL-50R, are both from the 4/3 digital era, but work fine with m4/3. I have both types, as well as the power pack and you will have no problem with using them in conjunction with m4/3 cameras. I might point out that the FL-50 units can also use the power pack.

Latest threads

Top Bottom