1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash for OM-D 10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dougan, Sep 10, 2015.

1. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    Is there a compact, reasonably priced flash with a tilting head for the OM-D10? Fairly basic design would do, mainly used for taking people indoors bouncing the flash off the ceiling.

Thanks!

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The Nissin i40, Olympus FL-600R and Panasonic FL-360L (I think the last two are the same internals rebranded...) are all pretty small, however the prices are in the $200-300ish range, not entirely sure if that's reasonably priced however they're all good units that would do the job.

The latter two get bonus points for being able to act as master (not just slave) for the wireless TTL.

3. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    The one bundled in the em5 ii works too, at least it did in quick testing.

4. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    I was hoping to spend less than £100(UK)

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I believe the E-M5 mII flash will work on the E-M10 mII, but not the E-M10 mI from what I can tell. The mII has the 4 points on the hot shoe. I don't believe mI had 4 points.

6. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
  7. Stuw

Stuw Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2014
    I use a nissin di466 which can be picked up for £60 on Amazon/eBay. I find its a nice size on my EM10 and doesn't make it too top-heavy

8. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    Doug
    One review on Amazon said it couldn't light up more than 10 feet away, which is a bit worrying seeing I want to bounce the flash.

How do you find yours, power wise?

9. Stuw

Stuw Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2014
    To be honest I've never noticed any shortage of power but my main use for the flash is for macro so I can't really say if that review is accurate.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It has a guide number of 109/33 (ft/m) at ISO 100 at the longest zoom setting. That will easily light up a normal residential room when bounced on the ceiling.
    Fred

11. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

Olympus fl-300r. Not ideal when used with the viewfinder because the whole unit tilts back for bouncing.
    If you use the display it is fine. I use it in large places (churches) combined with higher iso (800-1600) to balance it with the available light.
    Did a quick search and found a UK shop that offers it for £89

Jan

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    This one looks fairly interesting in that it seems very compact, TTL compatible with Olympus, and cheap (£54.30 with free shipping in the UK)...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UN05S68

Only two batteries so a little underpowered and slow recovery time (5 seconds) of the flash, but for the original stated purpose may be perfectly suited. Certainly can't beat the price.

Here is the USA Amazon link for those interested...
    http://amzn.com/B00XHNNXTC

13. T83m

T83m New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2014
    Small and light, ideal for mFT: Nissin i40...

14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'd suggest a METZ 44 AF-1, a proven flash, fully compatible with Olympus, very reliable, will last, has a rotating bounce head - but £15 more than you wanted to pay. Next alternative would be the Metz 36 AF-5 at £70 but it does not have a rotating head, only bounces.