1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash For Micro Four Thirds - Yongnuo 560 IV

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robert Evangelista, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Robert Evangelista

Robert Evangelista Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    I have trying to find Flash that will fit my budget.
    Particularly for off Camera Flash.
    Initially I got a nissin i40, The size is well ballanced for a OMD E-M1.
    And the Compatibility with the Olympus RC System really works well. For off camera use.

However it is still not the cheaper option out there.
    And I found my self getting 2 Yongnuo 560 IVs.
    I got 2 of this for the price of 1 Nissin i40 plus some change.

CONS:
    The YN560 does not have RC compatibility. it is full Manual, Does not have TTL.
    Huge and unballanced for Microfourthirds body.

PROS:
    • It has more Power
    Nissin i40 Guide Number: 131' at ISO 100 and 105mm
    Yongnuo 560 IV Guide Number: 190' at ISO 100 and 105mm
    • It has both Optical and Radio Trigger functionality. This will support my hobby more further.
    • Radio Trigger can support up to 6 groups.

Sample Flash power from Pitch Black to over Exposed:
      FLASH POWER NISSIN i40.PNG
    SAMPLE PHOTOS:
    Left: 2 flash setup
    Right : 1 Flash + Ambient Light
    FLASH ONLY vs Flash + AMBIENT light.PNG

YN560 Shoot 2.PNG YN560 Shoot.PNG

Sample photos of the Nissin i40:
    P5240689. P5080083-2. P3270202. P3270048. P3270009.

Weekend Photography: 41 - Having Fun with Flash & Liquids

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I also use the Yongnuo flashes I have three of the III versions and 1 of the IV versions. Besides the sensible cost which you have mentioned, what I like best about them is the flexibility of control afforded by the Yongnuo YN560-TX radio controllers. With the flash buried in a soft light box I can independently adjust the level of zoom as well as the intensity of flash without having to go into the softbox itself and they work as well out of doors where stray sun beams might interfere with other type flashes.

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    The controller is a must have for these flashes. Everything is then controlled from the camera and it is little and light on the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'd rather use the controller than using the latest YN560-IV as controller - a full flash is just too awkward on the hot shoe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Robert Evangelista

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    100% agree with you on this. I have the controller on my wish list already :) just one button click away :)

6. Robert Evangelista

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    The new and the Old

P6220007. P6220004.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    As I noted in a previous post I have three of the III speedlights and one of the IV speedlights which has the built in radio controller. I did that for several reasons. First at the time I purchased it the price was just $5 more than a III unit. Secondly, without having to carry a second TX unit, it gives me a backup controller if my TX should fail when I am out in the field. But as you have noted, keeping it on camera, unless absolutely necessary, makes the camera awkward to handle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Hi, Denny.

Other than the TX unit built into the IV version of this flash, are there any significant differences between the III and IV versions? Thanks.

9. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Nothing that I can detect. The bodies seem to be the same size and the two diffusers I bought for the III units work on the IV unit. The guide number for both flashes is the same and during a shoot I tested the output from both flashes. Using my digital Sekonic L-308S light meter I compared the IV and the III that I had gotten about the same time. In that way, I was not comparing a speedlight that had a lot of mileage to one that was new as speedlights do fall off a bit after usage. With fresh rechargeable batteries in both units, the Sekonic meter recorded the same for both speedlights at both the widest and then the most telephoto zoom ranges. Both flashes were set to full output. I do not know if there is any weight difference as I never weighed them. I am a bit skeptic concerning the durability of modern electronics which is why I carry the IV as a backup speedlight and controller.

10. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for the info. Since the IV is only slightly more expensive, I guess I'll get those.

11. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Hi again, Denny.

I have one other question: which model of the 560 iii did you get, the Canon or Nikon mount. I think the Nikon version might be preferable because my EM5 ii uses the 4th pin to power the supplied flash and I don't know what that might do to the Canon version. I find listings for a generic version, but they don't say how it is different. I believe on m/43 cameras, only the center pin is used, but I don't know whether the camera powers any of the others when a generic flash is mounted. Any insight would be appreciated.

12. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I purchased the Canon mount which works on both my Olympus and Fuji cameras. Somewhere I read that it only makes a difference in the TX controller and not the flash but I had no reason to validate that statement. When I purchased the 560 TX controller I did purchase one with the Canon interface which has the multiple pins that match up with some on my E-M5 though I am not sure what benefit it has.