1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash for Micro Four Thirds Camera

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by neek247, Dec 31, 2015.

1. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    I was wondering if there is a flash that I could buy for my Panasonic Lumix G7 that work as TTL and not manual and is less then $100 on amazon.ca, is this possible?

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    With some luck and patience you can snatch used, no-R, FL36 or FL50 for under $100 - ebay, amazon, buy/sell forum here.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    As budeny said, you might look into the older Oly flashes used. I use a FL-36 and a FL-50 with my E-M1 now and they work fine.

But if you want new there are several options although I have no first hand experience with any of them. Looking at B&H photo, searching on Panasonic/Olympus TTL compatible and sorting from low to high price there are a few:

Polaroid PL-108AF Flash for Olympus/Panasonic Cameras $48.95
    Vivitar DF-283 Series 1 TTL Flash for Olympus Cameras $49.95
    Bower SFD728 Autofocus TTL Flash for Olympus/Panasonic Cameras $65
    Bolt VS-260OP Compact On-Camera Flash for Olympus/Panasonic Cameras $69.95
    Metz mecablitz 24 AF-1 digital Flash for Olympus, Panasonic, & Leica Cameras $89.99
    Bower SFD926O Power Zoom Flash for Olympus/Panasonic Cameras $99.95

and then they go up in price from there. Of those, a quick scan of the listing and I would likely opt for the Vivtar or either Bower as they all have decent Guide Numbers (flash output rating), use 4 batteries (for faster re-cycling of the flash), and full tilt/swivel heads.

If you instead prefer compactness, then some of the other models might be decent choices although typically trading off some of the traits I just mentioned for smaller size.

• Informative Informative x 4
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Of those listed, I'd stay with Metz or Olympus/Panasonic.

5. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    Thank you everyone!

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My reservations with that particular Metz model is that it is only a two battery unit and while it tilts upward offers no swivel. Also a bit low in output. So as I mentioned above, if the idea is compactness mainly it might be a good choice. If the idea is a more versatile general purpose flash, it might leave the photographer wanting.

Happy New Year!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I knew it was small and under-powered but did not know it does not swivel. That is definitely a factor to consider.

8. neek247

neek247 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Canada
    Ashley
    Yah, I will be opting for the bigger flash not the small compact one; still looking around.

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Wll not any of the Yongnuo flashes work?

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've never seen the need for adding swivel to the flash. I just stick the flash on a TTL cable and use it off camera...

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not in ttl mode.

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Well ya if using a cable you don't need either tilt or swivel but you also now have to hold the camera in one hand and the flash in the other which can be a bit cumbersome especially if your lens is a zoom.

But if you are using it on the hotshoe and want to bounce the flash off the ceiling, you won't be able to shoot in portrait mode without swivel. It is kind of one of those 'I don't use it often but when I need it, I REALLY need it' things.

• Agree Agree x 1