1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash for m43

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bassman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I currently use my Nikon SB600 flash with my m43 cameras (EM5 and GX7), but I'm considering getting a dedicated unit.

Is there any difference between the Panasonic FL360L and the Olympus FL600R? AFAICT, they seem to be the same flash with a slightly different housing.

Other than off-camera operation (which my Nikon system supports and I rarely use), is there any other real advantage from a dedicated unit?

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I would have thought that this would be in the area of TTL functionality, unless I'm miss-understanding you?

Focal Plane (FP) modes for high speed shutter use?

3. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    No, of course you're right. Momentary brain freeze ...

4. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Wasn't there someone on the forum recently selling a FL360L for $200. That seems a good way to go.
    I own a FL360L so if you have any questions fire away.

5. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Thanks! I picked up the 360 today; I have a 5 year old's party to shoot tomorrow. I'm hoping the full TTL automation is just that: fully automated.

Here are two questions:

- the EM5 seems to never set its shutter speed faster than 1/60; is that a function of the ambient light in the room?

- the flash doesn't always properly show the lens FL. For instance after changing from the 17/1.8 to the 14-42, it still showed 17 regardless of the actual zoom position on the lens, and didn't zoom the head in response to zooming the lens. Some power off/on cycles seemed to clear it.

6. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    the last first - sounds like a loose connection; double check both the lens mounting and the hot shoe.

don't know either the room or your settings, personally for such an event I will set the camera on M settings to suit the overall look I am after (ambient/back of room/background) and the flash in TTL Auto with the head set at 45 degrees with a rear reflector plate, or upright with a simple diffuser on it (assuming the ceiling is of assistance, which most are). Strangely this tends to work out 'more automated' in practice than using an automated mode on the camera!

don't be afraid of increasing the ISO a little if needed, the flash will ensure that you get good clarity on your subjects/faces and the overall look will be improved by not having white faces on black backgrounds!

7. bassman

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Thanks, photo owl.

I shot the birthday party this afternoon. The flash performed well. Recycle time was short. The ceiling was way too high for bounce, but I used the tiny built-in white card to good effect and was very pleased.