Flash for GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Im needing a flash for portrait at exterior4 and studio sometimes, but now I cant buy a very expensive flash. I have read Yongnuo have very good and inexpensive flahs, but I dont that model for the GX7.

2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014

To be honest 99% of the photography that most people do can be sorted out using one of the old Auto flashguns from the film days, before TTL flash hit the scene.

I use an old National PE-387s on my GX7 and get excellent correctly lit results for a fraction of the cost of a TTL compatible device, Just make sure the ready light is an LED so the trigger voltage is low enough not to do damage, old ones with a neon ready light have a very high trigger voltage and can do damage.

Remember these old guns where made to give accurate exposure with slide film which is much more critical in its exposure requirements than digital capture is.

Give one a try, you will be quite pleasantly surprised at just how useful they are in the modern digital world.

Tin Hat on for the usual suspect objectors to respond in their usual way :dance2:

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yongnuo's manual flashes will work on any camera with a standard hot shoe, which includes m4/3s. Any reasonably modern manual flash that has a lower trigger voltage that fits a standard hot shoe should be fine actually.

For off camera you'll need to think about triggering, either optical, radio or PC sync cords. The Yongnuos support all three, radio needs a proprietary trigger commander unit, PC sync cord will need a generic hot shoe adaptor as the GX7 doesn't have a PC sync port that I'm aware of. I'm using YN560-IIIs and the YN560-TX radio commander with remotr power and zoom control.

TTL or no? If you're going the TTL route there's nothing cheap I'm afraid...
  4. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    There is the Nissin Di466 and I think a newer one, something like the i40. Relatively cheap, basic and TTL. Google for that model number and GX7 to see threads about the flashes. There are one or two other third party flashes that offer TTL for a reasonable price with m43. I found them when I was researching a flash but can't remember the names now. Metz makes some nice TTL flashes for m43 for just a bit more money.

Panasonic and Olympus m43 flashes often sell pretty cheap used. Watch the different for sale forums on the major camera forums.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Sorry, I meant the Di466. Those sell for $120-140. I just looked up the i40 and that sells for a lot more unfortunately.