Flash for GH3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shanguli, Sep 17, 2014.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    Hello, I have recently got a GH3, and want to learn flash/strobe photography and also use video lights to shoot videos. So far I have found Yongnuo YN-560 III Speedlight.

I was wondering if you'd happen to know of any decent flashes (and possibly video lights) that I can get for my GH3. I want to build a portfolio around people photography,(high school senior, portraiture, head shots...).

Would be great to hear your insights regarding flash and possible choice of videolights...
  2. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I am currently using a variety of flashes in manual mode with a G5/GH3 and getting some excellent results. This past week I shot a HS senior outdoors and used an SB-80 in an Impact collapsible softbox. It's my 'go to' for outdoor work / location stuff.

The last wedding I shot was all manual flash, and I also used an off-camera room light at the reception and was thrilled not to have to fuss with TTL like I did in my Canon days. Try it and see how easy it really is. For on-camera I used a Demb Flip-it, off-camera was a Sunpak 383 on 1/8 or 1/4 (don't remember).

There's not much in the way of TTL flash for 4/3 that are decent, without breaking the bank like a Metz 58. Try one of the Yongnuo flashes and see how you do. You will surprise yourself.