1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash for GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by timothysoong, Sep 11, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    i searched all over panny section and could not find a desirable solution, which caused me to make this thread.

so, I find the built-in flash too small and not effective during daylight shots or on some other conditions. And the main problem is it cannot be swivel for bounce with portrait format..

and fyi, im a total novice in camera stuffs, so I have no idea what other specs of the flashes do, except for bounce, swivel around for different angles of bounce.. I saw the Nissin Di466 but it doesn't swivel for bounce with portrait mode.

So yeah, can someone provide me some good recommendations accordingly to what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance..

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any "Four-Thirds" flash will fit and work on your GF-2 with all available features, such as hotshoe mounting, TTL metering, auto shut-down, high-speed sync, etc.

Some examples are the Metz-48, Metz-50, Nissin Di466 (which you found), Olympus FL-36R, Olympus FL-50R, Panasonic DMW-FL360, or Panasonic DMW-FL500. All of those come in Four-Thirds versions, or are made for Four-Thirds exclusively.

There are also ways of using almost any other flash except maybe Sony/Minolta mount (and even then, there are options with those flashes), but I'm sure we would be overloading you with options and forcing you to learn more about how to use your flash in manual mode. So we'll just skip all that for the time being... ;)

3. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    But which one of these examples could be swivel for portrait shots? Cause the Nissin Di466 couldnt..

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Every single one I mentioned EXCEPT the Nissin. ;),

The Nissin doesn't swivel, but it does bounce. It's not a bad flash.

5. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I know.. I realized a lot of folks recommend the Nissin, but what I need is a flash that swivel to bounce for portrait shots.

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I can recommend the FL-36(R). I think it is the smallest one out of all native m4/3 tilt/swivel flashes. It has very reasonable recycle times and is full of features.

• Like Like x 1
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I would recommend FL-36r. Thanks to 2xAA power is well balanced on GF2. Nissin Di466 is cheap solution, but it seems to me very expensive and bulky when compared to functionality of Olympus FL-36r.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You can save money by pickup up a used Olympus FL-36 (NOT the R version). The 'R' indicates remote flash capability, which the Panasonic doesn't support anyway. I picked up a used FL36, in like-new condition, on ebay for $82. It didn't have the manual, but I downloaded that from the web for free.

9. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I couldn't seem to find the one without the "R". Is the one without the "R" a fake version of the FL-36R?

10. The R version is an updated version of the FL-36 that replaced the earlier non-R. Aside from the remote capability I don't know if anything much else updated. The R version replaced the non-R version, so I don't think you'd find a new non-R version anymore if that is what you were searching for.

11. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Ah I see.. whats the difference between the FL-36R and the Lumix FL360? Because I couldn't seem to find a local store that's selling the FL-36R.. If the specs are the same, I might as well get the FL360..

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The Lumix FL360 is a rebranded FL-36, no remote capabilities. Get the FL-36R in case you up grade camera's in the future and want to use the remote function.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Olympus R-series flash can not only be triggered via TTL wireless through any Olympus camera with Remote Commander capabilities (pretty much any Olympus camera with a pop-up flash from the E-3 and newer... ie, fall of 2007 or newer), but it can also be triggered as a dumb slave from any kind of flash.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    This is a big plus for the R-version. You can use remote flash even with your P&S, full manual of course. Unfortunately it doesn't react to cellphone led-flash. :tongue:

15. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Just bought the FL36R today.. Not really sure how to really use it tho.. Gonna start reading the manual.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...which is why Meyerweb picked his up "in like-new condition". ;)

17. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    One thing I dislike about the Pany FL-360 on a GH2 is that the IR AF illuminator on the flash does not work, and it relies on the the body one instead. Not sure whether my flash is faulty

18. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I too am looking for a flash for my GF2 and I think I'm settled on a Metz 50. Has anyone used this with a GF2 that would be willing to comment on the size of the flash relative to the camera, and how that affects handling? Thanks!

19. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
  20. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Ok, wow, thanks for that link. It is pretty bulky, but I'm still gonna go with it. Trying to take toddler photos with available light is near impossible, especially as we're getting fewer hours of daylight this time of year. And the built-in flash just doesn't give me what I want. Thanks again!