Flash for GF1

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether it is safe to use an old Olympus T32 flash with the Panasonic GF1? Are there any issues with the flash voltage that might damage the camera. Hope someone can advise.

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Many thanks for the information. I've measured the voltage on the T32 and it is between 7v and 8v (provided my ancient meter is accurate). I suspect it would be safe to use - but I'll wait until I can get something more definitive! I've only recently bought the camera and like it too much to risk wrecking.
Regards

dusty sensor

New to Mu-43
Many thanks for the information. I've measured the voltage on the T32 and it is between 7v and 8v (provided my ancient meter is accurate). I suspect it would be safe to use - but I'll wait until I can get something more definitive! I've only recently bought the camera and like it too much to risk wrecking.
Regards
Absolutely brilliant little gun, Metz 20 C-2, perfect size for the GF1 @ 3.1/2 x 2.1/2 inches, 2 AA's, manual, 2 auto modes, NOT TTL. The best thing about this gun is the superb exposure control, far better than the onboard flash and more powerful. See Metz for full details. hope I've helped.

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. That might be one worth looking at rather than risking too high a trigger voltage. It's lighter than the T32 so would feel better on the camera.
However, if anyone has the definitive answer about using the T32 on GF1, I'd be interested to hear.

dusty sensor

New to Mu-43
I wouldn't chance it. I tried and tried to find the FTV for an old sunpak 26DX but couldn't find anything definite. In the end I took a chance and sent sunpak an email not really expecting a anything but a couple of day's later someone sent a reply saying the gun was low voltage [6v] and was usable on digital cameras. By then I'd bought the Metz and forgot the sunpak. Why don't you give olympus a try.

dusty sensor

New to Mu-43
just found this on flickr......... J_Turnalion [deleted] says:

Hi.

If you want something cheap that has bounce and stuff then the Metz 36 is the way to go, you might get some nasty Chinese copy for a bit less but I'd save yourself the heartache!

Older flashes will work providing the trigger voltage is safe, the one you're probably referring to is the Olympus T32, which has a tilting head so that you can bounce the flash. It's a powerful flash and works very well but.......

1. You'd have to learn how to use it manually. It isn't that difficult really but you might not want to mess about.

2. It's an old unit, many have problems with their plastic clips breaking and are in bad condition. It's getting hard to find tidy ones.

3. It's very bulky, I had one and tried it on my E-P1, it felt extremely cumbersome and made the camera totally unbalanced, I would not recommend it if you want to use it on the camera quite a lot. Great for the occasional shot, otherwise don't bother.

Honestly, I would stump the few extra ££ and get the Metz 36 if you want a decent quality bounce flash. You'll probably pay £30 or so for a really clean T32, I just sold mine on eBay and it went for £38.

£65 is a very good price for a very useful bit if kit.

That's my take on it anyway ;)
Originally posted 7 months ago. ( permalink )

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. I'm convinced of the no risk route. My old T32 is in pretty good condition.............everything works, nothing missing, nothing broken. But having looked at the various Metz options, that could be the best way to go for something small, light and effective. Just need to decide which one to go for. I've no problems with using a fully manual unit (I've got the grey hairs!) with a bit of quick mental arithmetic on distance/aperture/GN. Once I take the plunge I'll report back.
Regards

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the advice. I've gone for the Metz 36 and don't regret it. If I'd known how easy full-auto was I'd have gone for it years ago! :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom