Flash for GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by j L e e, Jun 6, 2010.

1. j L e e

j L e e New to Mu-43

May 21, 2010
    I'm pretty new to the camera world, but love taking pictures as a hobby. A friend of mine has asked me to take some pictures of his new product that he will be launching. The shots he's looking for will be close ups but not macro shots. I have a GF1 with the pancake lens and am looking for a flash gun compatible with the GF1. I plan to purchase a wireless receiver so I can control my lighting at different angles and such. Does anyone have any particular favourites they can share or recommend that would be compatible with the 4/3 camera?? :confused:

Thanks!

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

j Lee, see if this thread will help you out: https://www.mu-43.com/f67/flash-choices-fl-14-fl-36-fl-36r-more-400/

3. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    In general, I usually advise using OEM (in this care Panasonic or Olympus) flash units for this reason: It will be compatible and firmware upgrades will be available if needed.

Third party flashes (except maybe Metz) can be hit and miss. Example, I have a Vivitar flash that works great on my Olympus E-3 DSLR. It will not do TTL on my E-1 or GF-1. However, my Olympus FL-36 and FL-36R are perfect on all 3.

I prefer the KNOWN to the "maybe it works" to save a few bucks.

4. Miles

Miles Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    Luxembourg
    Metz works fine 4me

Depending on you're budget, here, Metz Flashes are almost half the price of Olympus/Panasonic.

Metz are making Flashes for so long I really think the have at least or even better "Know how" than the Olympus/Panasonic.

I think that Pan/Oly have a lot higher margin on the accessories !

Miles

5. sinjin

sinjin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an old Sunpak 433D (with a Pentax dedicated mount). I use it on my GF1 all the time in either Auto or Manual mode. It is a solid performer and works great if you are happy to forgo TTL etc. It is amazing how well these old trojans do at getting great exposures in Auto mode.

Cheers,
    Mark