Flash for EPL1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PENpal, Oct 6, 2012.

1. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I need advice on what flash unit would work on my EPL1.I use manual lenses and the built-in flash just don't work well.
  2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    If you're on a budget, I can recommend the Nissin Di466. For a few bucks more there's Metz's 50, and for many more bucks there's the Olympus FL-600r.

I also read that Cactus AF50 is not too shabby and pretty cheap.

Really depends on what you're looking for in a flash. Check the features of those in your price range and there should be a winner.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    The Nissin is on my shopping list.
  4. aussieg

aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    the nissin uses 4 batteries does it give better performance than the oly Fl36 2 batteries
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does the Nissin Di466 TTL properly on an E-PL1 + manual lens? I can't tell for sure from their website but does the Di466 have a full manual mode?
  6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Well ist does on my e-pl2, which should work like your pl1 except for the faster sync speed of 1/180. With flash I usually use full manual on both the camera and the flash, which the Nissan supports.
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for your response... but just to be sure.

You are saying that the nissin Di466 will TTL with a manual lens adapted. Last time I tried (this was on a G1 a while back) the TTL flash wouldn't work properly if the aperture wasn't controlled by the camera. In other words, it would only TTL with native lenses and that manual lenses required the flash to be controlled manual mode only.

The other thing I got from the Nisson Di466 is that it doesn't have support for high sync.

With those two things.... I might as well as stick with my 5 sunpak flashes (of various models). Some have significant more power, can cycle fast enough (with battery pack) to keep up at 7 fps, replaceable shoes, and cheaper than the nissin.
  8. duratorque

duratorque New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    I have an E-PM1 and bought a Metz 44 AF1. I wrote a review of this flash in my blog.

Its good value for money but there are better flash guns around. I've no idea how well it work with manual lens though.