1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash for beginner with OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by luiztakei, Mar 5, 2013.

1. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    I bought the Olympus OM-D a few months ago and I have enjoyed it a lot. Being my first camera beyond a point-and-shoot, I am a beginner in photography and would like to learn more about flash.

Can someone suggest me a good+cheap flash to start learning about flash photography?

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    took a look at your flickr and I think you're doing fine with EM5.

I'm using the mecablitz 44 AF-1 digital and it's worth recommending.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    +1 on the Metz 44!

Good value, powerful flash and works perfectly in wireless TTL after the firmware upgrade.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Get a cheap Chinese flash like the YongNuo YN460 or YN560 if you want just manual control.
    If you want TTL then a Tumax made sales under Vivitar, Bower, Cactus are very good and cheap. I own one names Bell & Howell they are all the same just with different branding and some front plastic.
    You can get all at Bh or Ebay.
    A very good accessory is a radio remote that sells on ebay for bout 14$.

6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm Chinese, never used a YongNuo because I know it doesn't last.

7. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi there can you be more specific about "works perfectly in wireless TTL after the firmware upgrade"? I never found the metz 44 firmware update and haven't been successful with any remote operations.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Since the OP wants to check the water temperature, he needs something cheap to start with. We all do not know what will last longer the flash or his interest in flash photography.
    About a couple of month I was in the same position just wanting to learn flash photography. I got a used compatible cheap flash, I know it is not the greatest but it does its job. Now that I know what I want and need my next flash will be from a more respectable brand. Jumping from zero to brand name, does not make economically sense for an hobbyist.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mussomusso

mussomusso Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Riva Del Garda
    You have not been successful with remote TTL since there was a problem on the Metz 44 which has recently been fixed with a firmware upgrade :wink:

see Flash units: Metz bottom right

• Like Like x 1
  10. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not exactly cheap - but the FL-600R pairs wonderfully with the OM-D and will give you full TTL control as well as built in wireless ability. These do go on sale - I paid $249 for mine. Also last fall I was able to pick up a refurbed FL-36R direct from Olympus for ~$160 - another good beginner flash to learn on. Check B&H, Cameta or GetOlympus occasionally to see if anye refurb/used deals come up on these. My 2c-YMMV :)

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

Also this one is not bad.

As with anything there are styles and opinions that sometimes cloud the basics ...

There are worse places to start.

Also get Light Science and Magic - you will not be sorry.

Mostly just play a bit and get used to the controls and find out things that bother you so you can have strong motivations for targeted improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Good way to learn. Get the no frills YN560, it's cheap, it's got the power, the swivel, and bounce. Read Light Science and magic Rob posted above with the money you saved.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got the YN560 because of the price ... according to the reviews it should have died long ago but it is still working fine.

Looking back I now wish I got a more powerful and TTL capable flash - primarily I still won't get one as I want off camera wireless TTL but am not willing to pony up the required $$$.

In controlled situations off camera manual with cactus v5 and a couple of flashes a tremendous amount of good work can be done and there is much to learn with little investment.

For impromptu family gathering in dim rooms TTL is handy - or that is where I'd use it if I had it. Tried manual in such situations and it does work but it is a lot of work.

14. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    :eek:it really is there, thanks a lot!

15. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    Thanks everyone for all the input! And keep them coming! :)

Thanks for the compliment, jyc860923! I am trying to practice when I have some free time but I still know nothing about flash photography...

• Like Like x 1
  16. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    :drinks:
    I actually started with GF3, which doesn't have a hotshoe but has a bounceable flash, a very limited model that has brought me so much fun. I still haven't found much opportunity to produce more nice photos with the metz but mostly use it indoor making puppy shots, still in an early age of my flash photography. I find it very handy to have a TTL capable flash to work with the E-PL5.

17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    How does one update flash firmware? Can it be done right on the camera? Or does it have some sort of USB (etc.) connection to feed the data into? I've never experienced a flash firmware update (obviously).

18. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Tom

it's not to update the flash firmware via the hotshoe, I did it last night as what the metz website says, remove the battery and connect through the USB port on the flash, very simple. And I succeed with the slave mode.:thumbup: