Flash exposure compensation on flash gun + body = what?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Nov 3, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    What happens when I set flash compensation on both the camera and the flashgun? Is one ignored in favor of another, or are they compounded? (I have GF1 and Olympus FL 36). Unfortunately, the description on the"flash adjustment" in the manual is very scant. It doesn't say anything about how it reacts with the flashgun's own compensation.

(The following may or may not be related to whether the two FEC values are compounded or not, but I found them very interesting:
    1. When I change the FEC on the camera, the effective distance readout on the flashgun LCD shifts accordingly. But when I change the FEC directly on the flashgun, the distance readout on the flashgun does not change.
    2. Olympus FL36 can adjust its output by +/- 3.0 EV. GF1 on the other hand can adjust the flash output only by +/- 2.0 EV. If the two values are not compounded, using the flashgun's dial will give me more leeway.)
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I assume you are working TTL, in this case the camera will probably overtake flash settings. In manual mode both will be set and you can "double" compensation. In any case it is easy to test the outcome just try it out in a controlled environment.
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    From page 23 of the manual

4. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    A ha! I should have read the FL36 manual as well. I only resorted to the camera manual. So much to read! :smile: