Flash diffuser or omnibounce for Nissin Di466

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Popelotto, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Popelotto

Popelotto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Finland
    Paavo Niskala
    Hi,

I bought the Nissin Di466 flash for my OM-D in December. I've liked it thus far: it's compact and produces nice results. It may not be the best tool for off-camera shooting or I just haven't got the hang of it. Anyways, if someone is looking for a Micro Four Thirds flash, this is a pretty nice option to consider: rather inexpensive, somewhat powerful and compact. Recycle times are good using Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

Anyways, I'm now looking at options for modifying the light. The flash has an in-built diffuser plate but that doesn't really do anything, and there's the handy flash card, but that hardly diffuses the light.

I'm looking for a omnibounce for the flash, so would any of you happen have experiences with this particular flash or with a flash of similar size? Size is my primary concern, as the flash is a lot smaller than some of the Canon speedlights, for example. That's why I don't think I could use many of the DIY options offered in the Internet. From what I've googled, omnibounces fitting Nikon SB-600 should fit this too.

I've read some comments about DIY softboxes from the Internets and might actually try buying a few of those cloth boxes from Ikea to build a softbox, or at least try.

Here's a sample taken using the Di466, Oly 40-150mm and OM-D:
    8344077184_c6b43fa6ce.
    Moses Portrait by Popelotto, on Flickr

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Paavo,

How are you looking to modify the light? Do you want to bounce it? Or are you just looking for a different type of diffuser?

--Ken

3. Popelotto

Popelotto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Finland
    Paavo Niskala
    Primarly I'm looking for just an omnibounce for the Nissin Di466 flash. I'm just wondering which omnibounce would fit or if anyone would have a working DIY solution for this specific size.

After that I could go after a softbox or something similar.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have an Omnibounce for my SB-600, but I do not have the Nissin flash.

Sorry,

--Ken

5. neon123

neon123 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    I've only just bought a plastic cap (I'm not quite sure what an omni-bounce is) for my Nissin 466 from ebay: * Soft Diffusion Dome Diffuser for Nissin Di466 | eBay. It fits nicely over the top of the flash, and from the little I've played around with it makes the light a lot less "harsh" head on.

6. Popelotto

Popelotto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Finland
    Paavo Niskala
    That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

7. dodongdodong

dodongdodong New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    will it fit the 4/3 di466 flash?