Flash choices for Olympus E-P cameras

Dad3*3

Mu-43 Rookie
Has anyone tried the Sunpak RD2000 on the E-P1 or 2? I had one for my G10 and it was the perfect travel size when you just needed a little fill or when you absolutely needed a flash. Bounce head worked well and it worked with the ettl system for Canon.

I have the Oly 36 now and that works great but would like something smaller for those times I really want to travel really light!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Dad3*3, I rarely use flash with the E-P1/2 so the FL14 being so tiny, along with an extension cord for flexibility does the job nicely.

I think it's just important to check the trigger voltages... do you have the specs of that flash?

Cheers

Brian

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I too have the FL-14 which is a neat little flash but would be a bit skeptical about using it as a bounce flash. It doesn't have a lot of power and unless you were shooting around f/2, it is going to be a bit limited. Depth of field will become an issue close to the subject shooting wide open or near wide open with most lenses.

As for the RD2000, the voltage should be OK as it is made in dedicated versions for Nikon and Canon. It is on the list of flashes that work with the Panasonic LX3 (in auto mode not TTL). http://homepages.tig.com.au/~parsog/panasonic/11-flash.html

Interestingly, there is a note "For Nikon (important)" so I guess there is a problem with the Canon version (possibly due to matching pin positions).

It is a very compact unit, but on camera and facing the subject, I would expect big problems with redeye as it is such a low profile flash.

Also, doesn't have adjustable manual controls other than EV adjust so I don't know how effective this may be.

Site link here... http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/rd2000/index.html

Dad3*3

Mu-43 Rookie
I tried the FL-14 but found it to be underpowered and I didn't think it would do well with an off camera cord bouncing it. Surprisingly, the RD2000 worked very well on a G10 in the bounce mode that is why I thought it might be good for the m4/3rds units. Plus it was so small, you could fit it in a shirt pocket. Looks like they only make it in Nikon and Canon dedicated units though.

The FL-36 works great, although it is a little bigger than I would like it does have the power and can be bounced and still be very effective. Almost as big as the camera though.

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
Canon ST-E2 controller and Speedlights

Has anybody here tried using a Canon ST-E2 wireless flash controller with an E-P1 or E-P2? I realize that I would lose the E-TTL facility, but it would be very useful if I could use it to fire my Speedlights in manual mode. Does it work? Would I fry my camera (E-P1) if I try?

Thank you,

Antonio

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
I answered my own question earlier tonight, and was pleased to discover it does work. I taped over the extra terminals on the camera, just to make sure I would not damage anything, and slipped the ST-E2 into the E-P1's shoe. Both 580EXii's were set on manual mode (they would not fire at all if set on ETTL, but I would not expect that to work anyway). It syncs and works beautifully, and since the 580's have variable manual output, you can easily control the lighting ratio.

Regards,

Antonio

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Flash choices.

I am becoming more attached to MFT and am considering my flash options. I own a FL-50R (on eBay at the mo') and a FL-36R. The radio function will not work with my E-P2 and I am considering the FL-14. It is a lot less powerful than what I currently have but is still better than onboard flash and is low profile to suit MFT.

What are others using? Any input will be valued.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I use (rarely) an FL-14 on an extension cord for the E-P1/2. I like the size, and on the cord I can direct it pretty easily.

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom