1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flash choices: FL-14, FL-36, FL-36R and more!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by maxpiz, Jan 5, 2010.

1. maxpiz

maxpiz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    Someone has news or even use this flash with its MFT?
    I have seen that it is perfectly compatible with the Lumix GF1 that I would like to use it!
    It is small and light and I think it fits well in any MFT!
    I would be useful considerations of who could use it!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Carlarm

Carlarm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    You should really consider the Olympus FL-36 or FL-36R instead. It doesn't cost that much more and is not that much larger than the FL-14. But it has more than twice the light output, it's flash angle tracks the zoom setting to match angle of view and does bounce flash with an adjustable flash head. It works great with my G1 and should work just as well with the GF1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I did buy the FL-14 but haven't tried it yet.:redface: I guess I should...but I only wanted it for snapshot types of photos and really did not want anything big. Yes, I wish it could tilt...

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB,

I'd recommend you get yourself an extension cable - it transforms the usefulness of the FL-14 on the Pen. You can hold the flash in your left hand, while shooting the Pen in your right hand (I've done it... surprisingly easy, with face recognition you can let that sort out focusing... allowing you to get the composition about right)

Let me see if I can find a link to one....

Here you go, something like this (I bought the official Oly version).

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, that's the one I use... excellent quality and easy to take along on any serious outings. I usually try to use natural light (which is easier with the 20mm f1.7)

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I use the FL-14 which I got quite cheaply packaged with my E-P1. They give the the flash away with the E-P1 in some spots these days.

It works fine. It sometimes is liable to result in quite minor redeye as it is mounted quite close to the lens but does present a very compact package overall. The 2 AAA batteries give a fair enough showinig. I use Varta Ready2Use or Sanyo Eneloops which are rated at 800mAh and these I guess would be good for somewhere between 100 and 200 shots without any problem. The pouch for the flash is roomy enough to 2 or more spare batteries in there.

I find I generally need to shoot at ISO200 at which the flash is then rated at GN20 (metres) which gives good small room coverage with the kit zoom.

I find that the TTL-Auto mode adds in an extra lag into the shooting process so I normally use just the Auto mode and it generally gives flash exposures that are just as accurate.

The flash itself is quite limited, but if you want a small flash it will do you well.

The FL-36R gives you a lot more but also costs somewhat more and is considerably more bulky. I would like to see Olympus release a flash mid-way between the FL-14 and FL-36R (and I don't mean the FL-20). Maybe something with a guide number of around 28 metres and with a bouce head and a similar size to the FL20 (hinge it in the middle or give it a small rotating head).

If the FL-14 is the only flash you are going to buy, maybe not. As a compact companion to the E-P1/2 when you have other flash options for the heavy work, I would recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jpaek

jpaek Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    FL-14 for E-P1/2. Thoughts?

Has anyone purchased the flash accessory for their E-P1 or E-P2?

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about buying one since I take so many photos in very dark places (clubs, bars). I took the E-P1 out this weekend with fairly disappointing results in a dimly lit bar. Its easy taking pictures of the bar itself in low light, but when I'm trying to capture people, fast shutter speeds are impossible, even at higher ISOs.

So, is it worth buying?

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No, it sucks. There are better options for the money.
    I use a Nikon SB and it's great.
    I'm out on a shoot but I'll check the exact model and post it for you.
    I did a 300 image shoot and the batteries never went down and it never took more than a second to hit full charge...

The Oly thing is garbage. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it....
    I'll post when I get back off the street...
    Shooter

10. BBW

I bought one on a recommendation but haven't used it yet. I think it may depend upon what you're going to use the flash for.... One of these days I'll have to give mine a try.

(Now that I've merged your thread into the existing one, you can scroll back and read some more people's opinions.)

11. jpaek

jpaek Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 9, 2010
    Canada
    Ah perfect. I used the search function but couldn't find anything related to 'FL-14'.

I'm really just looking for something small that will enable me to take pictures in small areas/rooms. The other flashes available just turn me off with their size...

12. GeorgeW

GeorgeW New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2010
    FL-36

I brought an NEW FL-36 from EBAY for $142 delivered. It works great with my EP2. I also use Sanyo's eneloop rechargeable batteries and recycle time is good.

You can get a new FL-36r from Amazon for just a few dollars more than FL140.

13. BBW

Glad you followed my "merge". Right the search wouldn't bring that up so I just put in "flash" and since I remembered posting about it...it was easy for me.:wink:

Check out the suggestions and then weigh your options. Or be like me, buy one and don't get around to using it, though I am sure I will at some point.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The flash I use is the Nikon SB-22s. Great flash, semi-pro...small and good output.....
    Tilting front with a diffuser.......
    That's it....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sangrail85

Sangrail85 New to Mu-43

hi streetshooter..

Can you pls give more info about Nikon SB-22S. Im really interested since I owned GF1 and D90. One flash for both camera is an advantage. Does it TTL on GF1?

Thank you...:smile:

16. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    There's some additional info on flashes here.

If you have a chance, do check out the Fl-36(r) - it's really quite small compared to many standard flashes, such as the Nikons and Canons.

As Brian mentioned, a TTL flash cord is the best way to gain flexibility with any flash.

Finally, note that TTL flash is ONLY available with Oly/Pany flashes.

17. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Free FL-14

I wouldn't have bought it at the listed price (more than 140 euros), but it comes as a free goodie with any E-Pn bought in Europe. I ordered mine a week ago, and I'm awaiting delivery. I may consider using it for daylight fill-in or such light usage.

On the plus side, its ng of 14 at iso 100 makes for a good ng 20 at iso 200, which is the true base sensibility of the E-Pn ccd (according to dpreview). I'm hoping for a good surprise here, but won't be deceived if the results are deceptively bad. As you say in english, you don't look at teeth in a given horse's mouth.

Cheers,

Mauve

18. chezznut

chezznut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Flash

I emailed Olympus about my Nikon SB-10 and here's the reply. What do you think?

"Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.
    Since the SB-10 is made by Nikon I do not have any specific knowledge of this product.
    It looks like it was first introduced around 1979. Obviously it is not compatible in any sort of TTL mode. You may be able to get to sync and use it with the camera set to manual. However i highly suggest you get yourself a WEIN SAFE-SYNC to protect the camera from potentially high sync voltage.
    Old flash units from film based cameras can have very high sync voltages which could cause problems for the electronic systems in modern digital camera. The WEIN SAFE-SYNC acts like a "surge suppressor" that you might use in your home on you computer to protect it from power spikes. The WEIN SAFE-SYNC limits the sync voltage to a safe level of 6VDC. You can purchase a WEIN SAFE-SYNC from any good camera store that caters to professionals.

If you require additional assistance please reply to this email leaving the complete email history intact.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Olympus Technical Support
    Olympus Imaging America Inc.
    Toll Free Technical Support Hotline 1-888 -553-4448

19. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I kept my FL-36r from my 4/3 kit and it works well on the E-P2 ( and remotely I believe on the E-PL1).

The low design of the FL-14 suggests you could get some shadow with longer lenses.

Another popular flash is the Metz 48 AF-1 which comes in a TTL version for Olympus (and Panasonic).

20. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    No, no TTL but I use it on Auto at either 5.6 or 8.0.
    Works great. You just set the ISO and fstop and work. It never fails to fire and has great power management.