1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash Bracket?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by beanedsprout, Aug 1, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Shooting some weddings for fun, looking to get a flash bracket but all of the ones out now are for giant cameras. Specifically looking at the Stroboframe but it's 9 inches tall, and even with the viewfinder my GX-1 and RRS plate is only half that. Granted when I get my GH-3 and grip it will fill up that nine inches a little better, but I'm wondering if anyone makes anything more suited for smaller cameras like ours.

2. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    nevermind, I'm buying this one and will using my abilities to make it what I need it to be. But still, let this thread live! And I'll post photos of my finished product when it gets here.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    This is what I have been using the last five years with both my full-sized Nikons and :43: Panasonics. It definitely has a smaller footprint.

I have owned and used the model that you referenced. It has a BIG feel. Not a bad thing; just BIG.

I use a version of this one for my GX1.

This one is less expensive than either above.

4. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I've been pretty happy skipping the bracket altogether. I use a 2 Meter curly ttl cable and keep the flash (with a Gary Fong Light-Sphere) switched off and hanging around my neck. When I need it, I flip it on and hold it out at arm's reach. I can hold it up above, left, right, even down below.
    I've always thought the off-camera effect was more complete with the flash a bit further off-axis.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    What are you using to hang the flash with?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Hanging by a cord. Although I wouldn't suggest a 2M unless you're hanging the camera around your neck. Mine is attached to a wrist strap so I would go with 3 if you're going that route.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have that one (or maybe an older version of that one) and it works very, very well. Remember that the higher the flash is (relative to the lens) the less you have to worry about red-eye, so you don't want to shorten it too much.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've been using the Stroboframe Quick-Flip for at least a half-dozen years. Still one of my favorites, and still a very compact option although I do have smaller ones which I take out in the field with my Pens. It's a timeless classic (even though that eBay listing says "NEW", lol!). ;)

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Here is the one I use. It folds up nicely: (CB Folding S)

P1030475-M.

P1030477-M.

P1030479-M.

Though I often will just hold the flash in my left hand since the cameras are so small.

10. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    But when you turn it sideways the camera is oriented in the wrong direction. When will companies learn?

11. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Flash hangs off the TTL cord, draped over my neck. Nikon camera used to hang on a neck strap; OMD strapped to my wrist.
    I guess I rarely use flash for much of an event; a bit in the morning ( bridesmaids and groomsmen getting dressed) and casuals after the ceremony and at the reception. Maybe an hour of shooting.
    Besides that, I've got lights on stands, or using available light.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I use the Custom Brackets Digital S, just smaller than the Folding -D. Folds pretty small yet heavy duty enough for my Quantum T5d-R.

Get the T version if you do not like the orientation of the camera in portrait format.

For me the S version makes sense as it keeps my elbow tucked into my body supporting the camera and out of the way when shooting in crowds, vice the chicken wing elbow in the air that people walk by and often hit when shooting in crowds. When will photographers learn?