Flash Auto vs. TTL-Auto

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Boatman, Jun 11, 2015.

1. This subject probably deserves a longer discussion, but I am amazed at how much better the re-cycle time is with (plain) Auto mode than TTL-Auto mode.

I have an Olympus FL-36 that I frequently use with my GH2. I also add a medium Better Bounce Card with the flash pointed up. I usually use the (plain) Auto mode set at about -1 EV. This will give outstanding results and rarely needs to have the EV adjusted, though for really different shots, it might need to be.

When in (plain) Auto mode the flash re-cycles in less than a second. In fact, you can even use rapid fire mode for two or three shots, at least when the batteries are fresh. With TTL-Auto the resulting photos are no better but the re-cycle time is over six seconds.

Using the same un-recharged batteries that I used to take over 120 shots last weekend, I tested this again this evening. Auto - three shots rapid fire, no problem, 2 seconds to get a fourth shot off. In TTL-Auto the same shot takes about 8 seconds to re-cycle. Forget about rapid fire.

Has anyone else experimented with this and seen similar results?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    it will be interesting to try on my Nissin i40, thanks for sharing
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just tried the i40, no problems at all in either Auto or TTL with Eneloops, it's less than 2 seconds either way unless the flash ends up at half or full power. Then again the i40 takes 4 batteries while the FL-36 only takes 2.
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Boatman, are the aperture and ISO the same in both modes?