1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

flash and GH3

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by TEAM KEN, Sep 30, 2013.

1. TEAM KEN

TEAM KEN Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Greetings...I;m nervous...My first post question :0

I have a GH3 coming any day...yippie!

As far as flashes go..I have some SB910s and a SB800.
    Also a Quantum Trio for Nikon.
    WIll any of these be ok with my gh3...Overkill??? bulky???
    Just thinking of the next step.

OH..If I take a portait/headshot..will my Elinchrom Skyport work to fire my strobes???
    Thanks in advance for any response.

Cheers, Ken

2. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    I've been playing around with my SB-600 a bit with my GH3 and I can get it work fine in manual mode but TTL doesn't seem to be compatible and I am guessing it might be the same for the SB-800 but I could be wrong.

There is a good chance the Skyport might work to fire your strobes. Just set the Flash to wireless on the GH3. I have been using a cheap Cowboy Studio transmitter and receiver on mine as well.

Maybe some others with more experience with using Flash and strobes on the GH3 can add some more insight that I lack though ;)

3. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    TTL is not interchangeable between systems. As synthetictone state, you can use the flash in manual only. I don't use the Skyport so I don't know how that system works but I would imagine you can use it to trigger your Elinchrom lights without any problem. But if there is a "Nikon" specific feature like TTL or HSS, you can't use it.

I also came from the Nikon world. I have 2 sb800 and a few sb28. I use the RadioPopper JRx to trigger my Nikon flash. The thing that is great about the RadioPopper JRx is that I can still control the power of the Nikon flash because the trigger has a little knob that I can use to adjust the level. Since my GX1 is able to trigger the JRx, I am still able to use my Nikon flashes and have full control over it.