1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flash Air card compatible w/ E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DizzyV6P, Nov 20, 2012.

1. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I just saw this on the Olympus website.

OI.Share (OLYMPUS Image Share) | OLYMPUS IMAGING

OI Share with a Flash Air card. Anyone know if its compatible with the E-M5? How is the Flash Air anydifferent from the Eye-Fi?

It looks like a cool concept.

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    My understanding is that it's a Toshiba product similar to the EyeFi but with 2-way connectivity. Olympus has a free app in the iTunes store called Olympus Image Share that you can use to wireless transfer your images from the card to your phone and/or iPad. You can also apply the Olympus art filters to images on your device. The Flash Air doesn't yet appear released in the U.S. although you can buy it from an overseas seller.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    There is a thread which covers your question here....

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/wifi-card-options-m43-cameras-mostly-olympus-35152/

(Please note that I originally couldnt get the Flashair to work in the EM5 - due to the fact it was formatted for the EPL5. Once I formatted for the EM5 it worked fine and with the Oly share app.)

It is, however, suitable for quite different use than an eye-fi card.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Robbie, when you say your "formatted it for the EM5" I assume you mean that you just formatted the card in the camera. Does that not screw with the other software (RF management) on the card?

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    It's a good point - you would think it might would.

Actually the instructions tell you to format it if you have used it in a different camera before ( I just didn't read them properly earlier).

6. dsblv

dsblv New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2012
    Bellevue, WA
    Dave S.
    I just installed the FlashAir in my Olympus OM-D and it works great out of the box. I used my iPhone for initial setup of the card's wireless settings. I then used Toshiba's PC software to allow me to control wireless operation from the camera's playback screen. Toshiba appears to be working on an iOS app that eliminates the need for the PC configuration software.

You can either use an app or your mobile browser to view and download photos. I had problems using the Olympus OI Share app and I kept getting errors when trying to download files. As an alternative, I tried a third-party app named FlashAir DL. This app works great and I can use FlashAir DL to easily view and download photos to the camera roll in my iOS devices.

I can download a JPEG file in about 7 seconds, which seems pretty fast. The FlashAir's range with the OM-D appears to be over 20 feet.

7. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Does anyone know which Android phones Olympus Image Share is compatible with?
    On Google Play it just says Android 2.2 or above, I have am HTC Desire S with Android 2.3.5 but it just says the app is incompatible with the device.
    I've looked on the OLYMPUS Image Share (OI.Share) | OLYMPUS IMAGING site but can't find any help there.
    Thanks