flash advise needed

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by laser8, Feb 11, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I am quite set on getting a "proper" flash for my GX1 and have done my bit of research, but I'd really appreciate your help on finalizing.

-TTL is something I'd like to have for the on-camera use - that rules out manual only flashes.

- Now for the off-camera: is there a good point in getting a flash that has also the in built meter (auto mode)? I understand that even in auto mode I have to set ISO and F stop manually. I suppose that even with "auto" mode after firing a test shot I'd have to dial in EC (or am I wrong?). That leaves me wondering if there is scope in getting a Oly FL600R/Pana FL360LE/Metz 58 or I could spare one third of the price and get a Metz 50/52 (or another similar option, if you remember of one).

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not that experienced with auto(thyristor) modes, but my understanding is that it uses a sensor on the flash, not TTL metering on the camera body to achieve the power setting/cutoff, so there's no preflash.

No preflash means that "dumb" optical slaves, like the ones that are built into a lot of studio strobes, then become usable. This probably won't make much difference to you.

However, I'm not sure I'd base a Metz 58/50 decision on the Auto mode: I'd base it more on the power output. Power with a flash is kind of like maximum aperture on a lens: the more you have, the more you can do.