1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

flash advise needed

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by laser8, Feb 11, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I am quite set on getting a "proper" flash for my GX1 and have done my bit of research, but I'd really appreciate your help on finalizing.

-TTL is something I'd like to have for the on-camera use - that rules out manual only flashes.

- Now for the off-camera: is there a good point in getting a flash that has also the in built meter (auto mode)? I understand that even in auto mode I have to set ISO and F stop manually. I suppose that even with "auto" mode after firing a test shot I'd have to dial in EC (or am I wrong?). That leaves me wondering if there is scope in getting a Oly FL600R/Pana FL360LE/Metz 58 or I could spare one third of the price and get a Metz 50/52 (or another similar option, if you remember of one).

Thanks!

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not that experienced with auto(thyristor) modes, but my understanding is that it uses a sensor on the flash, not TTL metering on the camera body to achieve the power setting/cutoff, so there's no preflash.

No preflash means that "dumb" optical slaves, like the ones that are built into a lot of studio strobes, then become usable. This probably won't make much difference to you.

However, I'm not sure I'd base a Metz 58/50 decision on the Auto mode: I'd base it more on the power output. Power with a flash is kind of like maximum aperture on a lens: the more you have, the more you can do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.