FL600R vs Metz or ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JoJo, Jul 22, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    When I am working I am carrying two and sometimes three EM5 cameras with FL600R flashes mounted. Using a Black Rapid strap, two cameras hang by my sides and sometimes I hang a third camera from my neck. I probably look like a one man Chinese fire drill!

My system works very well for me and I am able to work fast EXCEPT for the settings on the flashes. The settings are being changed by rubbing against my body. I would place a piece of tape across the back of the flashes but I do make changes as I work. At this point, I need to replace the Fl600R flashes. I have Fl50s but they are too large for good balance.

Soooooooo, does anyone have experience using a Metz or another similar flash with the EM5? Recommendations? One more thing, outdoor fill flash is iffy. Not at all like the FL50.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe you could try a small piece of hard plastic or some rubber bumpers on the flash to keep the control panel from hitting you?

FL600 has 1/2 the power of the FL50 ...

Are you wanting to change because of the "rubbing" or the fill flash problem? Something else?

3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    For my purposes, it has plenty of power. The rubbing is the killer! I really don't like to jerry rig equipment used on important events but I will look at the "cover" idea.

Thanks

4. phinix

phinix Mu-43 Rookie

May 15, 2014
    I just bought Nissin Di466, very nice flash for my E-M10

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would say the Nissin i40 but that changes settings by being rubbed too. At least it's only one mechanical dial though.