1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fl600R LED flashing in RC mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, May 14, 2016.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    I am trying to use my fl600r as a remote flash in ttl mode, but it does something that is annoying, to say the least. In this mode, the white LED on the front of the flash blinks every few seconds. Does anyone know if this can be turned off, and how one does it? I have checked the manual and searched this site for an answer with no success. Thanks.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    This has been well documented, both here and elsewhere, and the answer is no, it can't be turned off. But, take a piece of black tape and put it over the light, and that just about solves your issue. That's what I did, and it's perfectly fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    This extremely annoying blast of light is what caused me to sell FL600R and get an FL36R. I attach my flash to my E-M1 with a TTL Remote Flash Cable and hand hold the Flash with my left hand while shooting close ups with the 60mm Macro (Robin Wong style). The blast of white light from the FL600R will scare anything that can move into another zip code, the fix would be so simple, just allow the photographer to decide when to turn this blast on or off.
    PS, the FL36R will cause the E-M1 to use the camera bodies AF assist light in low light.
    Robin Wongs' technique :
    Robin Wong: Shoebox Macro Flash Bouncer

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for the answers. Does anyone know what purpose these flashes of light are supposed to serve? Is it just to let you know that the flash is still active?

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    To be honest I'm not sure what the light on the FL600R does other than maybe communicate with other flashes in RC mode.
    The Red light on the front of the FL36R is a communication light in RC mode and a focus assist light in regular mode. I believe the FL36R was made to be compatible with 43's cameras and the FL600R was made for Micro Four Thirds. I also think that the FL600Rs' white light is there also as a video light for MFTs'.
    I hope someone more informed than I will post here.
    PS, the FL36R works great with MFTs' cameras.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's to identify that the flash is in RC mode and ready to receive a signal. As I said earlier, if you can simply cover up the LED with a piece of black gaffers tape, and it's no longer an issue. That's exactly what I did, and it's perfectly fine (IMO). It is a great flash minus this one minor issue, so I wouldn't dump the flash just for this one minor "thing", especially when it's so easily fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I dug up some info from several post I made years ago concerning this :

"The FL-600R uses the video light on the front to flash every 5 seconds in RC mode, and sadly is is like a small electronic flash firing in your face. I was hoping to use this as a remote in portrait and macro photography but I'm afraid this annoying flash in either the subjects or your face will scare away most subjects. I wish Olympus would provide the option of turning this annoyance off. I find it hard to believe their design engineers didn't find this annoying! I've thought of taping up this bright light because I'm not a video shooter but the RC and the Automatic sensors sit on either side of this bright light.
    I think I would much prefer a thumbnail sized red dots option to this poor design! Maybe I need to sell this and acquire an FL-36R?"

"I've gone through the manual for the FL-600R and it clearly states you can turn the front LED to Manual and then turn it off. I've tried cycling through the settings and so far if repeats a flash every 5 seconds or stays on continuously? Is taping over this front facing LED my only option?"

Sorry I'd forgotten a lot of this. :hmmm: