1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL600R LED as focus assist on an older Pen

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by sokar, Nov 8, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi Guys,

I have downloaded the user guide for this flash and it seems that the LED can be set to on.

1. Would this assist the low light focussing abilities of an EP1 (no focus assist lamp)?

2. Does this lamp have significant effects on the image result?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have been reading as much as I can about this flash and the user guide states that the LED can be switched on manually or can be used in auto mode, "when required". I also read the intensity of the LED can be adjusted.

Q1. Are any owners of this flash using the LED in this manner for still shooting?

Q2. If the LED is used in auto mode, does it stay on when the shutter activates, or does it dim when the flash fires?

Q3. I own an EPM1 and to adjust flash intensity I need to open the SCP to access the function. I read that a left click on the wheel and then turning of the wheel on the flash unit performs the same function. Are there any users out there that can confirm this?

The shops in my area do not have this flash in stock and therefore I cannot experiment myself.

Thanks in advance.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As far as I understand the video light on the FL-600R is just a regular continuous light. That means it should stay on both while composing as well as when taking the photo. I haven't upgraded to the 600R though, so haven't played much with it.

I use an LED video light array to aid in focusing in low light on all my cameras. "AF Illuminators" simply don't cut it if you shoot in nightclubs and such which I sometimes do. It does not affect the outcome of the final image, or what little affect it does have is only positive. Your flash output will far outshine the LED light and negate its effect.

The FL-600R is pretty much the same as this setup (FL-36R + LED array) but all in one... The Canon 320EX also does the same thing, adding a video light like the FL-600R.

flash_bracket_web.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks again Ned.

5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    In low light, the LED comes on when the shutter is half pressed to help with focusing. I think it helps reduce the focus hunting but I haven't done any real test. It also probably help reduce red eyes.