1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL600R Flash FP mode

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by robbie36, Feb 11, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Now I am just about getting the idea about flash. The FL600 with my OMD seems to have plenty of power especially as I tend to use it at reasonably high isos during low light.

My question is about using it in FP mode in bright light to fill in shadows. I know that if I use the flash above its sync speed I am bound to reduce its power and effective distance but by how much?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends ...

FP manual mode the user selects the effective GN.

In "SuperFP" mode which is FP+TTL then it depends on the TTL comp settings and the lens/camera settings. The flash will query the lens/camera settings and give an approx range of effectiveness to achieve the desired settings.

It really varies tremendously depending on conditions and lens/camera settings and can literally be minimum to 100% power

3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You lose around two stops, with some additional loss at the higher shutter speeds. Neil van Niekerk has a blog entry on high-speed sync, with examples from both Canon and Nikon gear that pretty clearly demonstrates this.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/high-speed-flash-sync/

4. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Nice tutorial. Thank you.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What I mean't was HSS+TTL can give a very wide range. There can be way more than 2-3 stops from the flash maximum in such a case.

6. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I use the FL600 on Oly bodies. There is a loss of power due to the nature of the light supplied by the unit (pulsing). Sorry, I cannot provide an absolute figure on loss of power but I can use this outside with Oly 45mm (2/3 body shot) and get great consistent results.

I also own the FL36R and although they have the same power output, the recycle times of the FL600 is far superior. In the manual, Olympus states that the flash will shutdown after extended periods of FP use, and I have experienced this once with the FL36R. That was after approximately 30 shots in FP mode. The flash needed to rest for a few minutes before firing again.

I have not experienced this with the FL600 as yet, but I assume it is a built in precautionary measure to prevent overheating of circuits etc. It definitely opens up new shooting options and is a great accessory to have in your bag. I used the FL600 at a recent event and battery life was approximately 800 shots in both FP and normal modes prior to the batteries being drained.