1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL600R flash broken or Oly OMD EM10 hotshoe broken?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jplee3, Sep 12, 2015.

1. jplee3

jplee3 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2015
    Hey guys,

Just got an FL600R external flash unit and mounted it on my EM10 to test out. Test/Charge seems fine as it goes off and nothing is blinking. But the flash just won't go off when I take any pictures. This is when the flash is mounted on the hotshoe. I made sure to turn off slave/RC and cable connection and tried setting the flash to TTL-A and FP TTL-A - no luck. I even tried blocking off all but the center-most contact pin and set the flash to manual but it won't go off. Finally, I took out the multimeter and checked voltages of each pin with the negative probe on the edge pin. The center-most pin registers 0v when the flash is powered on. Two of the other pins register 3.27v, and the last pin registers between .01-.02v.

Is there any way to isolate what might be happening here? When I first got the camera, I tried out a Nikon SB800 flash on it and it did set the flash off in Manual mode so unless something happened to the hotshoe mount on the body, I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Any suggestions?

2. jplee3

jplee3 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2015
    I also changed to measure ohms and only three of the four pins show something between them and the edge pin. The one that doesn't have show anything looks to be the center pin - again this is with the flash powered on. I'm assuming there should *always* be a voltage showing up when probing the edge and center pins especially. I wonder if this would explain why the flash isn't triggering but all other communication between the flash is function (e.g. in TTL mode, the flash will pickup and detect zoom lengths, and also the little flash icon appears on the camera screen when the flash is attached via hotshoe... everything seems to work but the flash just doesn't get set off)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I just measured mine and two pins are at 3.3V one is at 3.1 V and one is at 0.06V.
    The center pin is one of the two that are sitting at 3.3V.
    Rudy

4. jplee3

jplee3 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2015

Thanks! I wonder why there's a difference in voltage between yours and mine. You've got the FL600R as well? Maybe the battery levels are affecting things? Regardless, it sounds like the center pin on mine should be showing *something* and it's not. Guess I can confirm it's bad by taking it with me to Best Buy or a local camera shop and trying it out on another body.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The flash should fire when the center pin is shorted to its ground which are the spring clips on the side of the hot shoe.
    Since yours measured 0V between the two it's likely that there is a defect (unless the measurement was faulty).
    Rudy

6. jplee3

jplee3 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2015
    When you took the measurements, it was with the flash detached from the camera right?

Like here - http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php

I'm assuming all the pins should return some sort of voltage back regardless. So if one of my pins isn't, and if it's the center-most pin, that would explain why nothing is firing via hotshoe I guess. I'm pretty sure I measured it properly...especially if I were to consistently get readings from the neighboring pins.

7. jplee3

jplee3 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2015
    I brought the flash into a local shop to try on a couple different bodies. The flash didn't work on either one. I think that is enough to conclude that it's a bad flash. Will be shipping it back :(