FL600 + GH2, tips and advice? Off camera flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by peripatew, Jan 19, 2013.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Just picked up this flash, loving it so far. It's my first "real" flash, but with a new baby on the way, it was an easy purchase.

I haven't had much luck digging around for this camera/flash combo and peoples workflow tips.

I've found I need to dial back the flash power to get a nice balanced shot.

But, a lot of people seem to recommend getting the flash off the top of the camera. I've got several different ways to mount it, but do I need a cable or some type of wireless accessory to make it work that way?

If I set it in slave mode, the flash pops with the GH2's pre-flash, and I can't find a work around for that yet.

Thanks for the advice. Loving it, but a lot to learn about flash photography over the next few months.
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The GH2 doesn't support the wireless flash protocols of the FL600R. To get it off camera you'll need either a cable or a remote trigger, The cable will allow you to have off camera TTL flash. A trigger will be manual only.

The cheapest way, for wireless, will be to pick up a cheap manual only flash and use that to trigger the FL600R by slave. Then the preflash wont be an issue. A little bit more is a remaote trigger/receiver kit. The ones for "Canon" or 4/3 work fine and you'll get the advantage of having no flash firing at the hotshoe.

For a wired TTL set up the ones for Canon from ebay work just fine and are cheap. Get a long one and if you can find it one that's not coiled.

A third trick is to just leave the flash in place, rotate the head and fire it into a reflector or a neutral cloured wall. You'd be surprised at what you can get from just this and it won't cost you a penny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    peri.... Good advice is to get to know your flash on camera or barely off using TTL, meaning keeping it close to the cam and bounce it. With the knowledge you gain from how your flash works on the GH2 graduating to the complexity of true off-camera manual mode won't seem so daunting... a method that requires calcuation or lost so shooting to get it right, but it's a joy when indirect lighting of some kind is required.