FL50r Remote Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MalSales, Sep 7, 2012.

1. MalSales

MalSales Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Nottingham, UK
    Malcolm Sales

Is anyone using the FL50r successfully as a remote flash? Particularly outdoors.
    I've come to Olympus (OM-D E-M5) from Nikon D300 & D700 with 2x SB900's & 1x SB800.

I've mastered the different menu system and feel that it's great and really easy to change settings.

However when I working outdoors I find I'm getting a significant number of miss fires where the flash fires 5 sec AFTER the shutter. Annoyingly the EXIF data shows the flash has fired! This presumably refers to the little "pop-up" flash on the hot shoe.

The system is proving un-reliable - particularly when compared to Nikon's CLS system.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?
  2. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Yes, I have a FL-50R and 3 FL-36Rs (and a Metz 58 AF-2) that I use regularly as remote flashes in RC mode as well as slave mode with the E-M5

In RC mode you need to make sure that the sensor window on the flash is facing directly toward the accessory hotshoe flash. And if your remote flash is placed so that it is to the side or behind your camera, you may need to re-direct the hotshoe flash using a small bounce card so as to provide a better signal to the remote flash. With trickier setups, using the FL-600R flash in the hotshoe as a controller should help immensely since you will be able to swivel and tilt it as needed.