1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL360L flash blinking and won't work with adapted lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jlouisalmeida, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    Good evening everyone,

I have a FL360L hooked up to my EM-5 and the "Auto Check" and "Test/Charge" lights just keep flashing and it will not fire (I changed the batteries out for fresh ones). I have an odd lens setup. I used to have a 4/3 camera that I adapted the OM 50mm too, then I got the EM-5 and a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. So right now it is 50mm OM to 4/3 to m4/3 to camera. I would think the flash would still fire, is something else my problem?

Thank you!
    J

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    If you take it off the camera, does the test button work?

Barry

3. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    No, it just keeps blinking

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    If the [TEST/CHARGE] lamp and [AUTO CHECK] lamp blink simultaneously,
    batteries are running low. Replace the batteries.

Page 9.
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/accessory/camera/om/dmwfl360l_mul_om.pdf

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Does it work fine with other lens combos?

6. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    As I said in the initial post, I just put fresh batteries in it.

Right now I only have the OM lens and a 4/3 on hand, I will try it with a native lens soon. With the 4/3 lens, the front LED still works to attempt to autofocus, but the back just keeps blinking.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Given that the warning for it is low battery it might be worth leaving the batteries out for 5 minutes then putting them back in in case it has a memory causing a fault.

Another test would be putting the flash into wireless mode and triggering it using the small clip on flash, if it doesn't trigger at all using wireless with fresh batteries the flash tube might be broken (I've seen it with flashes that have been dropped or overheated however DOA/ELF isn't unheard with mass produced electronics either, all it takes is a fingerprint or mark to ruin a tube).

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Test the batteries in a flashlight and/or try another set.

Barry

9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I'd agree with testing/trying another set of batteries. Could be a dud one in the new set you used.
    Also have a close look at the battery contacts for any crap which might be causing an issue. Flash charging will pull a bit of current out of the batteries, and dirty contacts creating a high resistance connection may cause the flash to think it has bad batteries.

10. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    I have tried another set of batteries with no luck. There is a distinct possibility of the flash getting crushed or jerked around in bag while traveling. Is there are more sure fire way to tell if the flash tube is broken? Is it repairable?

Thank you for everyone's help so far.

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Zoom the head to the widest setting and have a look at it the best you can, the reflector should be nice and shiny, it's hard to see through the Fresnel lens though. It's not really replaceable though (just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea).

I would check the batteries first since it's more likely to be a power issue(flash tubes do fail however I personally fat finger the batteries enough that it's always the first thing I check), if you've only used NiMH try a set of alkaline (and the other way around).

12. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    I have the same problem with mine. I bought new batteries and the lights still blink. I'm past warranty though so I think I'm screwed.