1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL user - 12-40 vs primes - humidity a factor?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ryand, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ryand

ryand New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi all, first post here. I'm getting back into photography after a long hiatus, so I'm starting from scratch with gear. I don't have a million bucks to spend so I need to think carefully about my lense choices. Its going to be the EM1 plus either -

12-40mm 2.8, plus the 7.5mm 3.5
    Or
    7.5mm 3.5, 12mm 2.0, probably 17mm 1.8, and 45 1.8

I know the 12-40 vs primes debates has been discussed already. What is unique about my question is I live Humid south FL, where it can also rain unexpectedly.

Now I'm not a fan of getting rained on, so shorting I'm the rain is not the issue, but getting some water dropplets anyways is a possibility. And 90% humidity is assured.

My worries are
    - are the primes, though not weather sealed, sealed up enough for high humidity? Seems like they Should be, but I don't know.
    - can the primes handle a few drops of water?
    - is changing the lenses frequently, using primes, going to be an issue with the EM1 in terms of exposing the inside to humidity?

I would really rather use the primes. I want a less "in your face" look and I want as much speed as possible for low light shooting. But if I need to go for the weather sealing, I will.

Thanks

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    interesting. I'm in Houston and never noticed the humidity being a factor but I supposed it would not be wise to unmount a lens from a "very" cold camera outdoors in warm weather.

other than that I doubt the humidity will pose a threat. I'd be more concerned about the thunder showers.

3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    The high humidity of Central Thailand hasn't affected any of my lenses, be they fixed or interchangeable. I take care to not swap a lens after recently changing from an air conditioned to non air conditioned space, or vice versa. My oldest camera has been here 4 years, so don't know about long term effects.

I recalling see 'environmental limits' or some such called spec either in an owners manual or warranty document. IIRC, the high end of humidity limits were 90% and 95%. I suppose it doesn't matter, because if the humidity is high enough to cause water damage, the manufacturer will treat it as water damage.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good questions, but many unknown answers. And the biggest unknown answer is how Olympus would respond if you sent any of this equipment in for repair. The 17 and the 45 are not especially expensive lenses, at least in comparison to some (and especially if you are open to purchasing refurbished from Olympus or Cameta), so if they are what you really want, and you do not think that you will be shooting in the rain, then go with what you want and deal with any issues if/when they arise. It is probably not the answer that you wanted to hear, but that seems to be the state of many modern cameras these days. Some have less annoying quirks or issues, but few are without some type of flaw. Having said that, Olympus has taken extra measures to market the E-M1 as a "pro" camera. It may mean absolutely nothing, but I suspect they would get a bad reputation quite quickly if there was not some truth to the increased level of construction in the E-M1.

Now having said all that, what is your alternate choice?

--Ken

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just think there had to have been photographers in Florida, Texas, Thailand, etc. back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. before zoom's became popular and Im pretty sure thousands of them were changing lenses on the fly with no weather sealing on there lenses/bodies. If it were "that" big of an issue you would here about it more often. I would just take care when you move suddenly from non-humid to humid area's (ie. from indoors with a/c to outdoors, like dancebert said above).