FL -LM3 ... want to make use of the freebie!

John Simpson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Simpson
Ok, so between myself and my wife we have 3 of these now with the purchase of various Olys. I wonder if a couple of them could be useful for a diy macro rig? The Oly Macro rig looks like they use something similar but at nearly $500 it’s a bit of a non starter for the occasional use we’d be putting it to. The question though is firing/syncing.

Has anyone ever given any thought (however abstract) about hooking two of these together and whether it could be made to work with the SCP?

Regards

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Ok, so between myself and my wife we have 3 of these now with the purchase of various Olys. I wonder if a couple of them could be useful for a diy macro rig? The Oly Macro rig looks like they use something similar but at nearly $500 it’s a bit of a non starter for the occasional use we’d be putting it to. The question though is firing/syncing.

Has anyone ever given any thought (however abstract) about hooking two of these together and whether it could be made to work with the SCP?

Regards
It's going to be a lot of effort. Since its an on-camera TTL-only flash that is powered by the camera, you'll need a separate power supply (don't think you want to draw double the load from the camera), and you'll need to reverse engineer the TTL protocol and make a wired master/slave controller so the camera thinks it's talking to one flash unit while both flash units think they are talking to a single body each (the wired TTL is not a multi-drop bus). The controller will need to keep sufficiently good timing to ensure the flashes fire in unision and synced with the camera.

Last edited:

John Simpson

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John Simpson
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Wjiang ..... many thanks, a good abstract thought, I kind of suspected that it would be a bit more involved, maybe the reason for the price tag LOL.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom