FL-LM3 flash question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mister Summar, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Mister Summar

Mister Summar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    This flash comes with the new Pen F. I cannot figure out how to work it in modes other than iAuto. Seems intuitive but alas nothing fires in P,S,A or M modes. I understand the flash modes options in the OK menu and reading the manual for what flash modes works with what shooting modes. What am I missing? I tried with both adapted and native lenses.

Thanks y'all

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I guess the first question is what mode do you have the camera set up for flash? OFF, red eye, always on, 2nd curtain, etc.

3. Mister Summar

Aug 31, 2015
    Flash fill 'should' always cause the flash to fire regardless of shooting mode which for this test is M. Using the Zuiko 25mm lens. image1.JPG

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The camera is set to Electronic (silent) shutter and low speed continuous. I don't think the flash will fire with electronic shutter.

5. Mister Summar

Aug 31, 2015
    I'll experiment with that too but I got desperate and solved the question the old fashioned way: I went to a camera store. They came up with another solution I now admit is rather crude but it worked. Reboot the camera which essentially resets the electronic shutter to factory specs. Indeed down in the electronic shutter menu is a flash on or off command. I must have set it when creating a Custom menu. I've never really mastered the differences in the electronic and mechanical shutter. They are quite profound. Thanks for the insight.