FL-LM2 flash remotely?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TassieFig, Dec 31, 2013.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I'm ignorant when it comes to flash photography as I hardly ever shoot w flash. On the very few occasions I use it I would want it off the camera. Not wanting to spend much money or add bulk, is there any way I can get my little FL-LM2 to work remotely off the EM-5? Any wireless capable thingy I can add to it or in worst case some sort of cable?

If not, what is the smallest flash unit that can work remotely on EM-5?

I don't need more power than FL-LM2 but just a bit more control of direction of light.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Nope, on camera only.

• Like Like x 1
  3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    FL LM2 uses the accessory port for power and signal. so it's not really a hot shoe flash.

FL300R may be what u are looking for.

but u still need the FL LM2 to control it

• Like Like x 1
  4. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for the...bad...news :frown:

I'll look into the FL300R but at first glance it seems not worth the price when you can get cheaper fully remotely flashes, although slightly larger. (If my research has been adequate and I'm not fooling myself).

Would something like this work on the EM-5?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-YN-...d=100033&prg=8800&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=250774291359&

A bit too big for my liking but I guess that's the price of being a proper hot shoe flash (?).

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you can pick up an FL36R cheap enough, then that can be controlled off camera with the RC system (using the FL LM2 to trigger it) & is also good on camera too.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    FL36R, is not cheap IMVHO, take a look at the Metz range something like the Metz 44 AF-1 Digital Flashgun for Olympus/Panasonic, good value for money.

7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    A Youngnuo flash will not give you the remote control (RC) capability of something like an FL-300R or FL-36R. Whether you need the RC capability depends on what it is that you want to do (or rather, a combination of what it is that you want to do now and what it is that you will want to do in the future).

The RC system on Olympus flashes allows TTL (through the lens) metering of the flash exposure with a number of remotely controlled flashes. The flashes are controlled using optical impulses from the FL-LM2 mounted on the camera (although the FL-600R can also be used for this purpose, as a remote commander; no other flashes can be thus used). The remote commander flash need not contribute (significantly) to the exposure in this mode. This is, so far as I know, the only way of obtaining TTL metering of multiple flashes with an Olympus system camera.

There are other ways of using off-camera flash, however. Firstly, if you want to have just one off camera flash, and you do not need it very far off camera, you can simply use a hot shoe cable. This will not work with the FL-LM2 because this flash needs to plug into the accessory port (AP2) module rather than the flash hot shoe (it relies on the camera's power supply and electronics and is not a fully independent flash as the FL-300R, FL-36R, etc. are), but it should work with any other Olympus compatible flash, including those flashes (such as some Youngnuo flashes and older Olympus models without the "R" after their model numbers, such as the FL-36) which support on-camera but not RC TTL.

You can also use off-camera flashes without a cable not using RC mode by using the much simpler optical slave mode (the flashes fire when they see any other flash firing), or by using radio triggers, but you will not have TTL flash capability. This is a perfectly workable solution (many professionals never use TTL), but it is less convenient and takes longer to set up, as well as requiring a greater understanding of exposure and how that interacts with flash.

The "Strobist 101" (note that "Strobist" is a trademark of this particular individual and not a general term for off-camera flash) is a very useful resource for learning about off-camera flash which I read recently on the advice of another member of this forum and found extremely interesting: it is to be recommended.

8. Ross the fiddler

The FL36R might not be in Wales, but it might be had for a good price here (being a discontinued item).

9. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I use a yongnuo 460 II as a remote flash with the fl-lm2 and it works brilliantly in manual mode. Just set the ypngnuo to Slave mode 2 and make sure the red part in front is in line of sight to your camera. I thought I would need TTL but it is so easy to do manual !ode once you try it a few times. And for the price of one fl-600 you can buy three yongnuo flashes and some triggers .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    As others have stated there is no “wireless capable thingy” that’ll do what you want, but there is another answer…

At one time, Olympus marketed a TTL capable hot shoe extension cable for the E-series cameras and flashes. Since the hot shoe pinouts of Oly’s Pen and OMD cameras are fully compatible with the E-series 4/3 bodies and flashes (FL-20, FL-36, FL-50) it should also work TTL to get your LM2 off the camera.

I just checked mine and it does work with my OMD-EM5 mini-flash, so it should work with yours. I do have an adapter that can mount the LM-2 to a regular Oly hotshoe, but can't remember where I got that. It's not an Olympus item, so you'd have to search for it.

As far as I can tell, Olympus doesn’t market this flash cable anymore (not surprising, since the E-series is dead), but you can still find it online (used) at places like B&H, Adorama and E-bay. You might want to Google it to see if you can find it anywhere in Oz or Asia. It was designated the “Olympus FL-CB05 Hot Shoe Cable.”

I’m told that Canon’s flash cable will also do the same job as the Oly because the pinouts are reportedly identical, but I’ve never confirmed this for myself… Canon’s cable is much too pricey to try as an experiment.

Good luck with your search. I’ve seen FL-CB05s priced anywhere from $15 to $50 (USD) on the used market.

11. Ross the fiddler

So where does the FM-LM2 derive its power from if it isn't connected via an accessories port or triggering, for that matter? :hmmm:

Perhaps you could show us a photo of the arrangement that works for you & a close photo of that adapter. Yes, it is true the Canon cable works for Olympus TTL flash off camera because it has the same pin alignment (plus one).

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just to be clear, the FL-LM2 is an accessory port flash, not a hot shoe flash (it only uses the hot shoe for mechanical support). A hot shoe cable will not work with the FL-LM2, since the FL-LM2 does not have hot shoe contacts!

13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You're not suffering from a hang-over are you??? :smile:

14. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    The clip on flash can trigger another olympus flash remotely and that optical flash signal doesn't effect the exposure taken in shot just so you know how it works. So you don't think it's essential to get it off the camera because you don't want the flash to be front fired in your photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ross the fiddler

There is no need to have the trigger flash off camera. If it is used to trigger a slave flash (like the Yongnuo), then a white card or specific snoot can deflect the flash but it can still trigger the other flash without impacting on the lighting of the subject. Of course, a cheap flash with off camera cable can be used to trigger another flash in slave mode. I guess that can be useful, but then there are cables to trip over & it can be a bit sickening when someone does trip on the cable which then drags the camera out of your hand & ....... OK, I'll stop. :rolleyes: :wink:

16. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks all for the replies!

Good point . What I was planning was to play with some macro shooting when I feel that way inclined. Nothing serious, just some shutter therapy around the house to annoy the local bugs. Thanks for the info & link. Very useful.

So, both the suggested FL36R and Metz 44 AF-1 Digital Flashgun are too expensive for what I want to spend atm. Maybe later when the urge to upgrade will coincide with the photography funding being replenished. The FL-300R or the much cheaper Yongnuo 460 II as a slave looks perfectly adequate to me.

Ahh. Very interesting! Thank you! Is it this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

The price is attractive. But you also have an adapter between this and the LM-2? Not sure what I would search for...is it something like this..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Standard...raphic_Accessories&hash=item1c356b641d&_uhb=1

Hm, as other pointed out, where does the juice to the flash come from with this cable? Pictures of your setup would be very much appreciated :smile:

Cheers guys, keep it coming

17. Ross the fiddler

That Canon cable is perfect for normal TTL operation with Olympus flashes, but put the idea of having the FL-LM2 off camera out of your mind because it would need an extension cable for the accessories port & I don't know of any that would do it, unless someone else knows of such a thing.

18. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
  19. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Similar to the one I found on eBay (linked above) but there is still the small problem that FL-LM2 needs the accessory port to work....

Not giving up yet...