1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-600R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by billinvegas, Jul 10, 2015.

1. billinvegas

billinvegas Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2015
    Hi,

Just stumbled onto an FL-600R at a local pawn shop - price was great, so I pulled the trigger on it...will test it out tomorrow.

In the meantime

Are there any advantages on using an Olympus flash on an Olympus body
    (versus say, the Nissin I40?)

Nikon flashes on Nikon bodies can take advantage of Nikon's CLS and other TTL functions.

Just wondering if having the same make flash / body combo offers any perks

thanks!

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I found that the 600R can be used as a trigger for optical wireless flashes, while the Nissin i40 can only be used as a slave (or maybe the Nissin couldn't be used as a trigger in FP mode?). The Olympus flash also was able to use it's video LED as a focus assist light, which I don't think the Nissin i40 did.

3. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    How is this used with an E-M10, and are there any other options?

I'm a novice hobbyist and hope to begin experimenting with off camera lighting soon. A friend who is a professional recommended that I start with a speedlight.

Do I need a trigger on my camera and a trigger on the flash?

Can I use TTL or is that even an appropriate question?

I'm new to the concept of external flashes, and while I've read some on the subject - all of the material was approached from a Canon/Nikon perspective.

Thank you for your time.

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I own an E-M1. I'll assume your E-M10 has the same functionality. The little plug-in flash that came with my E-M1 can be used as a commander to control remote flashes. Most currently made flashes for m43 can work as the remote flash, for example, any Olympus flash that ends in R, like FL600R. You don't need triggers, they're already in the flashes. All or almost all can do remote TTL.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    If you want to make it easy, ignore your friend and don't get any Speedlights ! Stick to Olympus or Olympus iTTL compatible flash guns. Nikon make good flashguns but best used on Nikon bodies.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Your 600R is likely going to be all you need. I have the Panasonic version (FL-360L), and it's a great little flash. The LED light is fantastic for doing video, and the flash is plenty powerful for my needs. If you want to do wireless TTL, download the manual and read through it. It's easy to set up and operate (at least on a Panasonic camera), and I simply use the built-in flash as the trigger for it.

I would recommend looking at picking up a StoFen diffuser for it. It makes a big difference in softening the output.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Which diffuser do you have?

Nevermind - for Panasonic, it looks like there is only one option - Omni-Bounce OM-4X

For Olympus, it looks like there is the Omni-Bounce OM-4X and the Two-Way Bounce Unit TW-UNI.