FL-600r settings on the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by robknight, Nov 21, 2012.

1. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I wrote a post on my blog about my FL-600r settings for using the flash on the camera, and I thought it might be helpful with the holidays approaching. I try to get the flash off of the camera as much as possible (like this), but with family and friends there's not always time to set up a mobile studio :)

I find that the TTL metering between the FL-600r and the E-M5 works very well and is fairly predictable. Much better than the Canon TTL and almost on par with the Nikon CLS system (which rocks!).

The article doesn't go into modifiers or diffusers, just the camera and flash settings. What is your favorite modifier for fill-in flash?

Anyway, I hope you like the article... Happy Holidays!

robknightphotography.com/blog

• Like Like x 5
  2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Nice article Rob. I love using the FL600rs. Just wrapped up a rather large job that I shot with the OM-D and FL600r's and they worked great. Nice little units.

3. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks a lot. I have two FL600r's now, but I'm thinking about picking up at least one more. I just sold the last of my Nikon gear and the money is burning a hole in my pocket :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    For me I think three would be ideal since in bright light or situations where the clip on OM-D flash won't trigger the group the third FL600R will.

5. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    is there any other way to trigger the flash other than the clip on flash?

there are not remote triggers for the OMD?

6. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes... You can use an FL-600r on the camera as a "commander" flash. It is more flexible than the clip on flash since you can easily point the fl-600r toward your remote flash. Then you can place the remotes behind you, beside you, etc and still trigger them reliably. The clip on works well inside, but outdoors I usually use an FL-600r as a commander on the camera.

You could also use Pocket Wizards or similar triggers, but you would not have the TTL control for the remotes. I have used Elinchrom skyport triggers on my OM-D and E-P3 with no problems.

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    any tips for off camera use?

Thanks. I dont have the flash yet, but its on its way.

8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Here's a review I did a while ago. Hope it helps

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2wmDBXyf3PM?list=UUGxZkGZS5qWxCmlOwmYJVxw&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  9. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Thank u. Will watch it when im near a computer!

10. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
  11. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Thanks for this.. Very helpful.. Cute kid too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    Thanks for posting this! Just got the FL-600r and it was a great primer on the settings.

13. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You're welcome... And thank YOU :)

Glad to help!

14. Troiks

Troiks Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Australia
    Andrew
    Thanks Rob, this is very helpful information. I have just started using the fl 600 for outdoor macro, any specific tips?

Cheers

15. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I use a lumiquest SoftBox III on the fl600 for macro work. It makes beautiful soft light, especially when you're in close with it. It folds up to practically nothing too!

Cheers!

16. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I use a 30ft straight cable TTL cord. If using one flash I can put it anywhere I want with this cord. If using two or more flashes it saves me from having to waste one as the master on-camera, and I get much more flexibility in the location of all flashes. And because it is long and straight I can tape it down so people aren't tripping over it.

17. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Helo there,
    Can you tell me where you find this TTL cord.
    I already ordered two on ebay but they are not working on my OMD. (No TTL)

Greetz from Belgium

18. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You can also use the clip on flash that comes with the OM-D as a master for wireless TTL flash.

19. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Rob, I tried that on-the-fly the other day in someone's office space. After setting it up without benefit of the user guide, (and making a couple miscues) it worked. Thing was, I noticed that my white balance was setup as previous; a custom one for mixed lighting at my house. So I press the OK button to bring up the Super Control Panel and ... you guessed it ... a wireless interface shows up instead; one that appeared to handle groups and whatnot. I tried to figure out how to set white balance elsewhere and gave up; turning off the wireless flash and starting from scratch, after having set white balance the way it should be.

20. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Hi,
    I have been shooting off camera flash with canon + pocket wizard system for some time already. As I am replacing all by Olympus OM-D, I am trying to figure out how FL600R works before investing (thanks to you Rob and Gsciorio for you articles on your blogs, very informative and pleasant to read).

What I didn’t get yet is whether is it absolutely necessary to use a unit of FL600R as commander on the camera hot shoe, this implies that I need to buy 2 FL600Rs.
    I would appreciate if you can confirm or not those assumptions.
    - OM-D can remotely control FL600R only when another flash in on the camera.
    - The original small plugin flash on OM-D will allow me to control 1 FL600R remotely, including TTL function.
    - Without flash installed on camera, it is not possible to manage FL600R remotely since the Olympus relies on flash pulse to trigger remote unit (unlike pocket wizard which relies radio signal control)
    Thanks