FL-600r question

mkee

Mu-43 Regular
I got my flash the other day and have been trying to use it with no success. It constantly has both lights flashing (test/charge and auto check) and will not fire with the camera or in RC mode. Is there something I am missing, or did I just get a bad unit?

Thanks

Matt

mkee

Mu-43 Regular
Ya I went though 3 sets trying it out. Oh ya its also really loud when it starts up is that normal?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
It should give a big whirling sound when it starts up, as it fills the capacitor. Once that's done, then the lights should go solid. Since the second isn't happening and you've tested the batteries, I think you may have a dud. Can you exchange it for another?

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Were there some posts a while ago about problems with some obstruction in the hotshoe not permitting solid electrical connections? Sure rings a bell but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I'm remembering something to the effect that repeated insertions eventually wore down/away to obstruction and resulted in perfect function ... something like a clear varnish or something like that on the lips of the hotshoe (which are used to establish a ground connection).

Same answer for the other thread

Found it ...https://www.mu-43.com/f42/newbie-flash-problem-om-d-em-5-a-27255/index2.html#post268321

savvy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Les
Rob, I remember the same and was searching for it but couldn't find it. I seem to remember some gentle abrading with some emery paper or something, also I remember another thread where the hotshoe rails were not lining the flash up correctly and needed some gentle persuading with a screwdriver.

I'm wondering if the threads were on another forum now, I just can't track them down, annoying.

But, it's not an isolated case.

EDIT : Found the thread https://www.mu-43.com/f67/fl-300r-omd-25902/index2.html#post275447

This post covers the hot shoe rails alignment issue, and a few posts down the "glaze" removal.

EDIT EDIT : LOL, we both found different threads. :rofl:

mkee

Mu-43 Regular
Good to know for the next one, I already returned it but thanks for the help. I was also having the problem of it not firing in RC mode also so I don't know if that fix would of helped. Will see how round 2 goes :)

BillW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill
I had the same problem initially with mine. I use NiMh batteries, and had to find a set the flash liked. I am not certain yet if this is a problem with the flash unit, or the fact that it likes a certain amount of power.

Funny thing is the same batteries that will power and shoot my Canon 580ex won't do it for the Olympus.

Latest threads

Top Bottom