1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-600r question

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by mkee, Feb 14, 2013.

1. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    I got my flash the other day and have been trying to use it with no success. It constantly has both lights flashing (test/charge and auto check) and will not fire with the camera or in RC mode. Is there something I am missing, or did I just get a bad unit?

Thanks

Matt

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If it's flashing then it's dead. Are you sure the batteries are good?

• Like Like x 1
  3. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Ya I went though 3 sets trying it out. Oh ya its also really loud when it starts up is that normal?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It should give a big whirling sound when it starts up, as it fills the capacitor. Once that's done, then the lights should go solid. Since the second isn't happening and you've tested the batteries, I think you may have a dud. Can you exchange it for another?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Ya guess its time to send it back. Thanks for your help Ned I appreciate it.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problem... I hope it works out!

• Like Like x 1
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Were there some posts a while ago about problems with some obstruction in the hotshoe not permitting solid electrical connections? Sure rings a bell but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

I'm remembering something to the effect that repeated insertions eventually wore down/away to obstruction and resulted in perfect function ... something like a clear varnish or something like that on the lips of the hotshoe (which are used to establish a ground connection).

Same answer for the other thread

Found it ...https://www.mu-43.com/f42/newbie-flash-problem-om-d-em-5-a-27255/index2.html#post268321

• Like Like x 3
  8. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Rob, I remember the same and was searching for it but couldn't find it. I seem to remember some gentle abrading with some emery paper or something, also I remember another thread where the hotshoe rails were not lining the flash up correctly and needed some gentle persuading with a screwdriver.

I'm wondering if the threads were on another forum now, I just can't track them down, annoying.

But, it's not an isolated case.

EDIT : Found the thread https://www.mu-43.com/f67/fl-300r-omd-25902/index2.html#post275447

This post covers the hot shoe rails alignment issue, and a few posts down the "glaze" removal.

EDIT EDIT : LOL, we both found different threads. :rofl:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Great finds, guys!

• Like Like x 3
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Tag team wins again! Whoot!

• Like Like x 2
  11. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Good to know for the next one, I already returned it but thanks for the help. I was also having the problem of it not firing in RC mode also so I don't know if that fix would of helped. Will see how round 2 goes :)

12. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I had the same problem initially with mine. I use NiMh batteries, and had to find a set the flash liked. I am not certain yet if this is a problem with the flash unit, or the fact that it likes a certain amount of power.

Funny thing is the same batteries that will power and shoot my Canon 580ex won't do it for the Olympus.

13. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Eneloops work fine on mine