1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-600R problems

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by jeffg53, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    My FL-600R arrived today after a few weeks wait. So far, I have managed to get the white card out but now the diffuser is stuck in there and I can't get the white card back in. Is there a trick to this?

A more troubling issue is that, despite being in P and AutoISO, the OM D appears to only shoot at ISO 200 as soon as the flash goes on. If I turn the flash off, AutoISO works as normal. Is this what it is, or am I missing something?

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm sorry but the diffuser on my FL-600R doesn't feel stuck at all. There is initial resistance as you pull it out but as it come out it is fairly smooth.

The Auto ISO going to 200 as you fire flash is expected behaviour. You'll have to be in manual or setting the ISO manually if you want it differently.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    That's just how it works. It just assumes that you want to take a photo at the lowest possible ISO presumably to achieve the highest possible picture quality. It will, of course, me in 'fill in' that the ambient light is extremely under exposed at night.

You simply have to set the ISO manually.

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks. I can live with ISO like that. My diffuser worked that way initially. I just pushed it down so that only the card was still up, but now, I can't get the card down or the diffuser up.

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I managed to get the diffuser sorted out. Trepidation and a screwdriver did the trick. I hope that it doesn't happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

6. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    Mine just arrived the other day as well.
    I experienced the same thing. It's a REALLY tight fit, but I'm hoping it will loosen up with use.
    I'm shooting mine on a G5, and my initial tests are that it works better when I'm in Manual mode, setting my own ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
    For me, the jury's still out...

7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Try playing with the FP mode in manual at ISO 400 to 800. You can get some very nice results with a decently lit background depending on how much available light you have.

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Mine was tight and soon loosened up. I can see how someone could mangle it if trying to force things in the beginning with it being tight and all.