1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-600r off camera Flash seems weak

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dlhomesolutions, Jun 3, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hello!

I have an FL-600r and an EM5ii with the flash that functions as a remote trigger for the 600. Whenever I use the flash in remote mode it seems very very weak. In order to get a decent fire out of it I have to put it in full manual remote mode.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Do you have the flash set to RC mode with the channel and group the same as what is being used on the camera?

What are the settings do you see in the RC Mode screen on the camera?

3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never realised this... but can confirm the behaviour. What a silly flash system design to have the onboard flash still contribute to exposure even though RC mode has specifically set it to off. The power is minimal, but still contributes enough at close ranges to throw TTL off.

It's not just the FL-LM2 as master and FL-600R as slave, I can confirm the same with the Metz 52 AF-1 as master and Nissin i40 as slave, or FL-LM2 as master and either of the other two as slaves. It's a fundamental Olympus RC design issue.

I guess workarounds are:
    a) fit an IR filter or
    b) get a dedicated commander with swivel and point it away

Hopefully eventually all the bodies in future will come with or at least support FL-LM3s which can tilt and swivel, making them much better commanders than FL-LM2s.

5. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I find the FL600 kinda weak when using on camera and bouncing flash. I much prefer the FL50 or old Sunpak 383. I can live without TTL.

7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I have one too. I'll see if I can find the info when I get home tonight. I only remember that I ordered it by phone from Metz USA repairs and parts dept. It was around $25.

8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Here is Metz parts dept info. I think 201-818-9500 was the right phone number. I tried the email request thing first but got no reply.

Metz - Contact Us

I don't know if it has a model number. I just asked for an IR filter for Mecablitz 15 MS-1.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I must have misunderstood the OP. When I use the FL-LM2 as the master - the worst the FL-M2 contributes is maybe a 1/2 stop. For subjects very close, I have some very deep red filter gel material that I tape over the front of which ever flash I'm using as the master.

10. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
  11. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    But radio controlled RC TTL only for Canikon and Sony. Very sad, once again ...

"Although the i60A will be available in Canon, Nikon, Sony, Micro 4/3rds, and Fujifilm, mount versions for on-camera TTL use, all versions will cleverly include Canon, Nikon, and Sony, TTL radio slave modes for off camera use (with corresponding Air 1 Commander units)."

At least optical RC TLL should work. But all people are wating for radio RC mode ...

Christof