FL-600r flash not firing on a OMD EM-1 with a Canon Off-Camera Cord Shoe 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Mar 30, 2014.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have been shooting my FL-600r flash off camera with a Canon Off-Camera Cord Shoe 2 with my EM-1 and EM-5 for about two years. All of a sudden it no longer fires off camera with either of my two cords today. Every thing else functions with my camera and flash with that cord but it just will not fire the flash. When I zoom my lenses my flash zooms as well but no light from the flash. I can use either of my FL-600r flashes and they both functions the same with either of my two cords. I also have a Fuji EX-1 and when I use those two cords with that camera it fires perfectly. Any ideas as to what my problem just might be?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Check that the flash fires on-camera, if OK, then check terminals of the Canon cords for crud. If that doesn't fix things, you may have a broken connection (two at once?). If the former doesn't work, then you may have a flash issue (internal).

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes, my FL600rs will fire perfectly on my EM-1 without using the cords to fire them, and my Fuji flash will fire off camera with my Fuji EX-1 using those very same two cords, but the FL600r will just not fire with the combination of those two cord using my FL600r and my EM-1 together. I am going to try running out and purchasing some new batteries, although the batteries that I placed in them are new but purchased quite a while ago.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Flash problems

I have also noticed that the flash ready light does not come on when the flash is ready, but only lights up when I push the shutter half the way down while it is off camera or on camera. I also notices that the lightning bolt does not blink to tell me that I have or have not had efficient light after the flash has fired. I put my system up for a good part of the winter and since I got it out, the flash has had problems. This has really got me puzzled.