1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

fl-600r as slave underexposes after a few shots

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uci2ci, Oct 16, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I just purchased an fl-600r. When set as a wireless slave to the omd clip on flash, ve noticed that after a few shots, everything becomes severely underexposed. When i turn the flash on and off. Its back to normal again. Any thoughts?

Im using energizer lithium batteries. Camera is set to A. Flash is set to TTL.

Edit: I was using slave mode, when I should have been using RC....Things are as they should be.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Are you giving it enough time between frames for it to re-charge? Not sure if that's a factor as I have not used this particular flash.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what it sounds like to me too.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im giving it a good while. I could stop shooting for a minute and start again, but its still the same

5. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    How long is the actual recharge time? Does anyone know?

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I think I've found out whats happening...im overheating. I'm doing night time macros and im getting missed focuses so im taking many consecutive shots.

I missed this in the manual: don't take more than 10 shots in short intervals without letting the flash cool off for 10 (!) minutes. I also just noticed that when its overheating (I guess that whats happening) the Charge/Test button goes off and comes back on when the flash is fired. The manual doesn't mention anything about this behavior or any protection circuits

I'm a bit disappointed

7. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Good grief! Only 10 shots? What's considered a "short interval"?

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    2.5 seconds

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ok im an F'ing idiot. I was using slave mode, when I should be using RC. I thought setting the flash to RC mean that its going to control other flashes, like its is when setting the OM-D to "RC mode"

Everything works like magic now. Exposures is as it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I ran into the same problem. Had mine on RC off :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.