1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

fl-600r as slave underexposes after a few shots

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uci2ci, Oct 16, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I just purchased an fl-600r. When set as a wireless slave to the omd clip on flash, ve noticed that after a few shots, everything becomes severely underexposed. When i turn the flash on and off. Its back to normal again. Any thoughts?

Im using energizer lithium batteries. Camera is set to A. Flash is set to TTL.

Edit: I was using slave mode, when I should have been using RC....Things are as they should be.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Are you giving it enough time between frames for it to re-charge? Not sure if that's a factor as I have not used this particular flash.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what it sounds like to me too.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im giving it a good while. I could stop shooting for a minute and start again, but its still the same

5. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    How long is the actual recharge time? Does anyone know?

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I think I've found out whats happening...im overheating. I'm doing night time macros and im getting missed focuses so im taking many consecutive shots.

I missed this in the manual: don't take more than 10 shots in short intervals without letting the flash cool off for 10 (!) minutes. I also just noticed that when its overheating (I guess that whats happening) the Charge/Test button goes off and comes back on when the flash is fired. The manual doesn't mention anything about this behavior or any protection circuits

I'm a bit disappointed

7. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Good grief! Only 10 shots? What's considered a "short interval"?

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    2.5 seconds

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ok im an F'ing idiot. I was using slave mode, when I should be using RC. I thought setting the flash to RC mean that its going to control other flashes, like its is when setting the OM-D to "RC mode"

Everything works like magic now. Exposures is as it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I ran into the same problem. Had mine on RC off :)