1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-600 Flash Modes on EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Lindsay D, May 13, 2015.

1. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Hi everyone,

I've recently acquired an Olympus FL-600 flashgun but I've noticed an anomaly which I can't figure out. When I use this flash aboard my EM1 I have access to the full range of flash modes. However, when I put the flash onto my EM10 I cannot select TTL-A mode or high-speed sync modes, they're just not showing up in the mode pane on the flash's rear panel.

What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Is the pop-up flash up? I know it sounds strange but I think it could be the reason. You can later disable it from the control panel.
    I'm not sure about this but it's easy enough to try.

3. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    No, the pop-up flash isn't involved - the FL600 is in the hot shoe. I get all of the various flash modes showing up when it's on the EM1, but when I put it on the EM10 I lose TTL and high-speed sync. Can't figure out why.

4. beeftendon

beeftendon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I had this same issue on my EM10 at one point. I was able to fix it by changing some settings, but I can't remember what they were for the life of me. If I remember, I'll let you know, but in the meantime, just keep exploring the camera settings, the answer should be there somewhere.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Ok, I thought it was in RC mode. Anyway I noticed that the "flash control panel" appears only if RC mode is set to On in shooting menu 2 (with the flash on the hot shoe).

6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Yes, the flash control panel comes up on the back of the EM10 when RC mode is enabled and the flashgun is in the hot shoe - in which case the camera's flash control panel appears to identify it as Group A and enables me to choose the mode, including TTL, FP etc. On my EM1 I simply do this on the flashgun, which is so much more intuitive as well as being quicker.

7. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I scoured the Internet this afternoon thinking there would be an obvious answer - I didn't find anything, but I did find a couple of other people having the exact same problem.

If you're anything like me you'll probably remember at midnight, whilst brushing your teeth - and by the time you wake up in the morning you've forgotten it again!

8. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    .... and having just tried it, setting up the flash when on camera this way doesn't work, I'm not getting either TTL or high-speed sync. It appears that when it is in the hot shoe it defaults to the mode which is set on the flash gun itself. Aaaagh.

9. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    This is getting weird. I took the flash off the EM10 and double checked it again on the EM1. Then I put it back on the EM10 and suddenly ALL of the modes are available on the flashgun's own rear panel. So what on earth was different this time round? Nothing - except for the fact that when I put it back onto the EM10 maybe I shoved it onto the hot shoe more precisely. I am really confused by this, but at least it's working now.

10. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    And now it's NOT working properly again - all I did was turn the camera and flash gun off to rest the batteries while I typed the above reply, and just now I went back and turned them on again and exactly as before TTL and FP modes are missing! Screeeeeeeeeeam.

Edit: it has now randomly made all of the modes available without me touching anything. But as soon as I pick the camera up, let's say it's in TTL-A mode, it will suddenly display just A. Then after a few moments the screen might show TTL-A again. It won't stay on the mode I dial in. If I take the same shot, with the same settings in flash A mode, the picture is properly exposed. If I change the flash to TTL-A ( even with two stops of negative flash compensation) every picture I take is a complete whiteout.

I shoot with both Canon and Metz flashes and I have never experienced anything like this, it's bizarre. I'm concluding this must be a faulty unit?

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  11. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Lindsay, I know you know your way around Olympus cameras, so the only thing I can suggest is making sure the flash is fully seated. I have seen this happen when the flash wasn't completely seated. Sorry, that's all I can think of.

12. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Yes, I think you're right about it being a contact problem. I've just tried the flashgun on a second EM10 and I have exactly the same problem - no TTL or FP modes on EM10 #2, intermittent appearance of these modes on EM10 #1. So I started to wonder if there was a problem with the contacts on the flashgun. I tried it again on the EM1 and it worked flawlessly. So the issue seems to be in some way related to the EM10s. I'll give the contacts on the flash and the cameras a good clean in the morning to see if that improves things.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I've been searching this since your original post Lindsay and everything seems to point towards the hotshoe connection being more, shall we say, particular on the E-M10.

14. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    It does look that way Steve. It's a bit of a worry, as I use my EM10s quite extensively on assignments, but this flash problem is going to be quite limiting. At least when it comes to this particular FL-600. My Metz flashes have been fine, but they're bigger and bulkier and I was hoping the FL-600 would be the best solution.

Talking of connections on the EM10s, I've also found that the lens mounts can be finicky - certainly stiffer than on my other Olympus cameras. I had lens/body communication issues with one of the EM10s, Olympus replaced the lens mount and it's been fine ever since. It's interesting how different camera bodies can have their own quirks - I was presuming that the mounts would be the same throughout the OMD line but I suppose the tolerances with which they're assembled may differ a bit depending on the level of the camera. If the problem persists with the flashgun I'll see if Olympus can repair it.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else comes on to this thread with similar experiences. And thanks to everyone who has answered so far - it seems we have collectively narrowed down the cause.

15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I had the same issues with two FL-600Rs on both the E-M5 and E-M1. On both cameras I had not previously mounted a flash in the hot shoe before a FL-600r. After a couple of swaps I noticed the flash had to be pushed into the hot shoe all the way.

However it was not long before the FL-600Rs mounted without issue and I have not been able to duplicate the issue since. Hopefully your EM-10s problem disappears.

16. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Yes, that seems to be the case Clint. I've given everything a good clean and now when I mount the flash on the EM10s I do so in a very decisive way, and everything seems to be okay. It seems the hot shoe fit is a little different to my Metz flashguns and as you say one has to be very aware of that last millimetre when pushing the gun into place.