1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

FL-3R - EM5 Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Picked up an FL-36R to use with my E-M5. I did read the manual but I'm still feeling pretty clueless. Several issues: 1) When on the hot shoe I can get it into TTL auto mode, just doesn't show up when I repeatedly press the mode button and I can't get it to flash i any mode. Pressing the test button works, and the small flash that came with the camera works (though I do think it underexposes). FWIW I put the camera in program mode under the assumption that if things would work automatically they would work there. 2) I put the camera in RC mode and the strobe in RC mode. The flash fires off camera but the output seems very underexposed. Turned compensation to +1 and they still seemed dark. Probably user error but any help would be most appreciated.

2. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    I'm really sad for that and it could be that the hotshoe contact is broken. A friend of mine had the same problem and his E-M5 has been fixed in warranty. Some days ago I also discovered that mine has the same problem. I put my FL-50R on it and it flashed 2 times, then nothing... I guess that also my hotshoe contact is broken. The little bundled flash works because it doesn't use the same contact but the accessory port. Of course also my FL-50R works fine in remote.

Maybe there's a problem to fix with these hotshoes.. Anybody else experienced the same problem?

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  4. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you savvy, I immediately tried all the solutions suggested in that thread but unfortunately it didn't work with my E-M5 and my FL-50R.. :(
    I think that I will have to send it back to Olympus to be repaired.. Nothing to pay (if they behave like they did with my friend) but I will have to stay without her for a whole month.. :(

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Ah well, worth a try.

Good luck with the repair (and the withdrawal symptoms :eek: )

6. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you savvy.. I'm thinking about sending it back after Chistmas holidays, in order to be able to use it in that period... I really like using it holding the FL-50R in the other hand and using it together with the bundled flash to have 2 ligth sources. A reflex user could never do it without external help.. :biggrin:

7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I'll try the suggested solutions. If they don't work I guess I'll need to send it in at some point.