1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

FL-3R - EM5 Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Picked up an FL-36R to use with my E-M5. I did read the manual but I'm still feeling pretty clueless. Several issues: 1) When on the hot shoe I can get it into TTL auto mode, just doesn't show up when I repeatedly press the mode button and I can't get it to flash i any mode. Pressing the test button works, and the small flash that came with the camera works (though I do think it underexposes). FWIW I put the camera in program mode under the assumption that if things would work automatically they would work there. 2) I put the camera in RC mode and the strobe in RC mode. The flash fires off camera but the output seems very underexposed. Turned compensation to +1 and they still seemed dark. Probably user error but any help would be most appreciated.

2. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    I'm really sad for that and it could be that the hotshoe contact is broken. A friend of mine had the same problem and his E-M5 has been fixed in warranty. Some days ago I also discovered that mine has the same problem. I put my FL-50R on it and it flashed 2 times, then nothing... I guess that also my hotshoe contact is broken. The little bundled flash works because it doesn't use the same contact but the accessory port. Of course also my FL-50R works fine in remote.

Maybe there's a problem to fix with these hotshoes.. Anybody else experienced the same problem?

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
  4. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you savvy, I immediately tried all the solutions suggested in that thread but unfortunately it didn't work with my E-M5 and my FL-50R.. :( 
    I think that I will have to send it back to Olympus to be repaired.. Nothing to pay (if they behave like they did with my friend) but I will have to stay without her for a whole month.. :( 

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    Ah well, worth a try.

Good luck with the repair (and the withdrawal symptoms :eek:  )

6. marck

marck New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you savvy.. I'm thinking about sending it back after Chistmas holidays, in order to be able to use it in that period... I really like using it holding the FL-50R in the other hand and using it together with the bundled flash to have 2 ligth sources. A reflex user could never do it without external help.. :biggrin:

7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I'll try the suggested solutions. If they don't work I guess I'll need to send it in at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.