1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FL-36R questions

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by starlabs, Apr 5, 2012.

1. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I just acquired a second-hand FL-36R and have two questions (so far!).

1. After pressing the test button to fire off a test flash, I can smell a faint "burnt" smell coming from the flash. I've fired the flash off with consecutive test firings and it doesn't seem to get any hotter. I haven't experienced any burning smells from my FL-300R, my old Vivitar, or some of the other el cheapo flashes I own. Anyone else experiencing this on their FL-36R's?

2. When the flash is ready, the charge light goes on but also the front AF illuminator starts blinking. I find this REALLY annoying. I don't want my subjects to be distracted by blinking red lights in their face. I turned off AF illum on the flash but doesn't help (I figured it wouldn't - this seems to be more of a "I'm ready - see me blinking in your face" mode). Any way to turn this off? I'm tempted to tape over the AF illum on the FL-36R.
    [Edit: this only happens when the flash is off-camera, in RC mode]

Thanks.

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have owned a FL36R since new and have never sensed a burning smell. I have never suffered overheating but I have experienced the flash shutting down / refusing to fire after 20 - 30 in FP TTL mode outdoors. After checking the manual, I found that this is standard for this flash unit.

On the subject of the front red light blinking I believe that this only operates in certain modes (ie optical slave mode etc - not TTL).

The oly manual is available for download online and provides instructions for a master reset, which may be the best place to start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The flash shouldn't smell.

The blinking light is the flash receiver telling you it's ready to receive a wireless signal. It should be facing the camera, not your subject.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    My FL-36R has never developed a burning smell. I've never noticed the flashing red light behavior, either. I almost always use the unit off-camera either triggered by a radio trigger (most of the time) or (occasionally) by the camera's on-board flash (in Oly's remote TTL mode with E-5, E-PL2 and E-620).

The only time I've ever noticed a burning smell with any flash was with an old Vivitar 283 that's been history for several years. Shortly after it developed that smell it went into melt down mode and self-destructed.

I wouldn't think the burning smell is a good thing for your FL-36 at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'll do a bit more testing with the flash tonight, I hope the burning smell is not an indicator the flash will go kaput on me soon (in any case, can't do anything about that I :frown:).

Since the flash can tilt and swivel, I'll probably leave it in the flash hotshoe rather than use RC mode. And if I do use RC, I'll point the body towards the camera as Gordon suggested. So that seems to address my red blink issue.

Thanks all! :thumbup:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When I get that burning smell, it's from my diffusers. ;) I don't know what would be causing yours...

7. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Update: So I tested the flash more thoroughly last night after I got home from work and there is no longer a burning smell. Strange.

Perhaps some dust had gotten into the flash and got burned off... who knows. I'm feeling a bit more reassured though. :biggrin:

Thanks again, everyone!