FL-36R in RC Mode does not fire

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wolfbomb, Mar 17, 2013.

1. wolfbomb

wolfbomb Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Singapore
    Nimrod
    I got an FL-36R to play wireless strobing with my E-P3 but unfortunately i cannot make it work. with the rc mode set on e-p3 and tried all the settings, different channels and groups but still fail.

has anyone experience this? is there any compatibily issues of this flash with e-p3?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Ok, maybe its my inexperience with remote flash but playing with my OMD and the same thing, remote FL50r, the only way I could get it to fire was if I put the small flash on the OMD and then use it to fire the FL50r. The reason was the OMD wouldn't turn on the flash settings if it didn't detect a flash attached. Once I attached the small flash the flash settings were accessible. I believe the little flash on the camera didn't fire but the FL50 did.

3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    you need to have the onboard flash popped up. the flash connected to the camera is what fires the signal to trigger the off camera flashes.

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    The "R" series flashes for remote fire are triggered by a pulse from an on-camera flash. With the E-P3, the built-in flash must be raised, or another "R" series flash must be on the hot shoe. For the E-M5, use the included little flash, or another "R" series flash.

On the "R" series flash, the "CIR" or "rC" mode should be selected.

Good luck.

5. wolfbomb

wolfbomb Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2012
    Singapore
    Nimrod
    Yup, I understand that i need to pop-up the built-in flash so camera and remote flash can talk to each other. Sorry i forgot to mention to mention that. I borrowed an EP3 from a friend and it seems that he had know issues in firing up my fl-36r remotely so i think there is something with my body. I'll be visiting the service center maybe this week to have them check.